Be wary of Mega Millions winner “giveaway” on social media (social engineering)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I don’t do lotteries, but if I did, I’d probably never, ever win in a million years. That’s not a problem faced by 20-year-old Shane Missler, winner of the fourth-largest haul in Mega Millions’ 21 years of handing out large bundles of cash.

He’s on record as saying he wants to “do some good” for humanity, but I suspect he may have to do some good in the identification verification sweepstakes first.

An account has popped up on Twitter claiming to be him, and claiming he’ll be giving away large amounts of money for retweets. I mean, it’s not exactly donating a million to medical science, but it’s definitely going to help random recipients.

Only problem is, the account seems a little too good to be true. In fact, it’s just one of many currently being retweeted into the stratosphere:

Click to enlarge

Shall we take a look?

Click to enlarge

First off: the bio.

Lottery winner of $451 Million. Giving back $5,000 to the first 50k followers that retweet **SIGN UP AND PURCHASE IN LINK BELOW FOR AN INSTANT $2,000**
Well, that’s interesting. You have to “sign up” AND “purchase” via a link to receive $2,000?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.