Because Everybody Loves Cortana on Windows, Microsoft Is Adding It to Skype (Privacy fears arise)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Microsoft announced on Monday that it started rolling out Cortana integration in Skype, bringing its smart AI-based virtual assistant to the company's instant messaging client.

The move to bring Cortana inside Skype was announced last year at the Microsoft Build 2016 conference and followed similar efforts by Google and Facebook.

For example, Google uses the Google Assistant inside the company's Allo app to aid users in their conversations, while Facebook uses a smart assistant named M for Facebook Messenger.

Microsoft is now following their footsteps by adding Cortana, a for more superior product, inside Skype

Privacy fears arise

From a privacy standpoint, this also means that Cortana will now actively scan your Skype conversations to look for clues. Users that don't want Cortana snooping around should check the application's settings for a way to disable the feature.

Reaction to virtual assistants and smart chat bots has not been favorable from the general public, and the only ones raving about their usefulness are tech-themed blogs. Just like Google Assistant and M, Cortana for Skype will probably see limited adoption, and most likely a lot of backlash from privacy-minded users.

According to Microsoft, Cortana integration for Skype will roll out first for US users of Skype for Android and iOS. Other geographical areas and app versions will follow suit in the following weeks.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
1xfbkp.jpg

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Well, I don't use Cortana, Siri, Google Now or any such voice activated and enabled assistant. Privacy concerns whilst using such utilities is a big concern. I'll do my emails, appointments, to-dos, reminders etc the hard way i.e. manually. Thanks but no thanks Apple, MS and Google.

Reactions: LASER_oneXM
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Well, I don't use Cortana, Siri, Google Now or any such voice activated and enabled assistant. Privacy concerns whilst using such utilities is a big concern. I'll do my emails, appointments, to-dos, reminders etc the hard way i.e. manually. Thanks but no thanks Apple, MS and Google.

Funny thing. A guy at work uses that 'OK Google' crap.. I told him it was picking up way more than he realized. He doubted me. So we logged into his Google account and saw, and he pushed me away and went into a panic.. Lets just say 'lemme see the blunt' was one of the things it recorded. No thanks.. Disable that crap.

Reactions: R2D2

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.