Berlinabydesign's Config

berlinabydesign

Thread author
Mar 19, 2012
Hi All,
Kaspersky on this machine is the local update database aswell.

On my Daughters machines (10 and 6), Parental controls are setup, All sites not recommended by Kaspersky are blocked, downloading files is prohibited, safe search enabled and instant messaging disabled.

The entrie network runs through a Linux Smoothwall, which has Advance Proxy and URL Filter enable, Intrusion Detection System (Snort) running and DNS Super Black Hole files for Smoothwall which blackholes around 300,268 organized crime, RBN affiliates, malware hosts web sites.

All Computers are backed up daily by a Windows Home Server machine, old backups deleted monthly.

Thanks

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hello and welcome to MalwareTips. :)

Is there a reason why you don't have any On-demand scanners? Also I guess that you have Kaspersky on maximum? With the whole network running through the Linux Smoothwall, I think that is one security that most people won't have.

Also there is a few addons that you can add to Internet Explorer 9 for you and the kids to use.
  1. Simple Adblock
  2. Spell checker for Internet Explorer 9
  3. LastPass

EDIT: I see that you have a backup option :p

A few On-demand scanners:

Hope that this helps :)

berlinabydesign

Thread author
Mar 19, 2012
Hi McLovin,

Thanks for your reply, will definately look into the suggestions on the kids machines.

As with the backup solution,,,,i forgot to mention that - post edited:)

With the on demand scanners, I really don't have a need for them.
Rarely have any trouble on any machine, of which there are 6, then another 2 through an 8km WiFi link - I contribute this to the smoothwall.

Thanks

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
berlinabydesign said:
Hi McLovin,

Thanks for your reply, will definately look into the suggestions on the kids machines.

As with the backup solution,,,,i forgot to mention that - post edited:)

With the on demand scanners, I really don't have a need for them.
Rarely have any trouble on any machine, of which there are 6, then another 2 through an 8km WiFi link - I contribute this to the smoothwall.

Thanks

That's good to hear. 8km is a fair way for a WiFi link? isn't it? Glad to see that you have everything going to the smoothwall. :)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Looks good. When was the last time you had a PC infection?
I've written a while ago a guide on how to improve Kaspersky IS protection... http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-to-setup-Kaspersky-Internet-Security-2012-for-Maximum-Protection , You can check it out as some settings can be found in Pure also.

berlinabydesign

Thread author
Mar 19, 2012
Hey Jack,

To be honest mate i couldn't tell you the last time i had an infection... I usually re-install windows every 6-12 months (WHS runs everything, i.e. webui's for torrents, UseNet etc. etc.).

I went the smoothwall option because of the url filters in the beginning (because of the kids - we don't want to be over their shoulder continuously) and it has just progressed from there - web cache is a big bonus for frequently visited web pages, also i like my desktop to have the least amount of clutter on it - keeps it reasonably ok to use.

I was actually fixing a mates PC, had Windows Antihazard Solution on it and stumbled here, Thanks for the link Jack will be checking it out for sure.

Cheers

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I recommend the Fanboy AdBlock List for IE9 Tracking Protection, instead of SimpleAdblock.
http://www.fanboy.co.nz/

I also suggest providing the flexibility of using other web browsers such as Chrome, or Firefox.

You can easily set-up Standard User Account for each.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Also make Kaspersky with password protected to avoid any altered settings that can cause changes on protection.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A quick search reveals that the latest is Kaspersky PURE 9.1.0.124 (Product Update):
http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/pure-latest-versions?downlink=206914381

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
berlinabydesign said:
Hi All,
Kaspersky on this machine is the local update database aswell.

On my Daughters machines (10 and 6), Parental controls are setup, All sites not recommended by Kaspersky are blocked, downloading files is prohibited, safe search enabled and instant messaging disabled.

The entrie network runs through a Linux Smoothwall, which has Advance Proxy and URL Filter enable, Intrusion Detection System (Snort) running and DNS Super Black Hole files for Smoothwall which blackholes around 300,268 organized crime, RBN affiliates, malware hosts web sites.

All Computers are backed up daily by a Windows Home Server machine, old backups deleted monthly.

Thanks

May I recommend k9 web protection for the kiddies, it is very good and has several options to make it enjoyable for the whole family.
http://goo.gl/aqE3i

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes, surely another a worth to use (K9 Web Protection) once if you decide change a setup after your license expiration from Kaspersky Pure.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.