Best Antivirus for Android Phones

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Android has often been targeted by malware writers across the world, with some infected apps even ending up in the Google Play store, so security solutions like an antivirus are becoming more popular among users of this particular mobile platform.

Security institute AV-TEST performed a new research to determine the applications offering the best malware protection on Android, comparing them to Google’s own Play Protect in order to figure out if third-party solutions are better or worse.

With Play Protect used as the starting point, it turns out that all security solutions included in the test performed better, though some of them provided pretty disappointing results.

First and foremost, let’s start with the best. Six different security solutions for Android got the maximum score, namely the ones from Trend Micro, Symantec, Sophos, Cheetah Mobile, Bitdefender, and Antiy. All got a 100 percent score after tests for performance, usability, and features.

Security products from Tencent and McAfee also scored pretty well with 99.9 percent score, while solutions from G Data, Ahn Lab, and Avast coming next with 99.8 percent.

Google Play Protect performance
On average, Android security tools managed to detect 95.7 percent of the latest Android malware in real-time and 98.4 percent of the samples of malware discovered in the last 4 weeks.

F-Secure’s SAFE security solution for Android got the lowest score with just 2.5 points for protection and 6 points for usability, despite having the security features that are considered to be critical for such a mobile product.

Surprisingly, however, Google’s Play Protect got a score that’s well below expectations. Google’s own anti-malware shield integrated into the Play store detected only 65.8 percent of the latest Android malware in real-time and 79.2 percent of the samples discovered in the last 4 weeks, according to the results. It was the only product that hasn’t received the AV-TEST certification.

You can see the full results in the photo gallery below and click the links above to download the APKs for the security products for your own Android device.

best-antivirus-for-android-phones-518203-2.png best-antivirus-for-android-phones-518203-4.png best-antivirus-for-android-phones-518203-6.png

Last edited by a moderator:

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I've used Avast mobile since the day 1. No reason to change. Tried another one briefly, but it seemed to bog the phone down, and caused unneeded popups. Went back to Avast. It is unobtrusive, and I can only hope it is doing it's job!

I use an older Android phone, still on v4.4, and that seems to be very compatible.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I'm still not entirely sure if I need a AV for my new phone. I don't download apps outside of playstore and don't download anything hardly in playstore either. I'm usually concerned about my battery life and such..

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
I'm still not entirely sure if I need a AV for my new phone. I don't download apps outside of playstore and don't download anything hardly in playstore either. I'm usually concerned about my battery life and such..
I'm exactly in the same scenario like you, I only have adguard to get rid of annoying pop ups and obviously ads on chrome since I use it a lot (youtube, facebook, news, forums, twitter) even anti-theft features are already on android

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Point to take into account, is that Play Protect is one of the many security add ons lastest Android versions have. Since Nougat, lots of security features have been added and Oreo has been reinforced even more.

-Permission Manager: you have listed every permission every app uses and have the option to disable a specific permission on an app. For example, there's no need why AirBrush Photo Editor would need your location, you can disable that permission from the app settings.
-Wipe, track and block phone: it's already included on Google's security options, no need to install Avast for that.
-You can create extra system accounts with less privileges to maximize security on daily basis.
-Device Administrator: built-in tool to enable and disable who can administer your device.
-Unknown sources: by default, and just in case you downloaded an infected Play Store app, no apps will be able to download from anything but the original Play Store-
-Credential storage: manage, install, or clear certificates on your device.
-Trust agents: set features like Trusted Places or Trusted Voice.
-Usage access: manage what apps have access to app-usage data on your device.
-App veryfing: Google will run a verification every time in a while to check apps and their permissions.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Saw this today regarding Play Protect:

Android's New Google Play Protect System Miserably Fails First Security Test
Android's New Google Play Protect System Miserably Fails First Security Test

Play Protect isn't so hot. But Norton's integration with the store seems better IMO. Also I like Norton's Android Link-Checker that checks and validates any links you click on with your device. I think that is an important protection technology on Android.

More often than not what I see from mobile devices are malicious links, background telemetry and intrusive logging. It's surprising what is blocked on Pi-Hole and/or UTM's from mobile devices.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
we don't need any antivirus for our smartphones. but if you are nervous or in panic...save your battery and use bitdefender free for android. And that's that!

Reactions: mlnevese

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.