Battle best antivirus for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambleros

Thread author
Aug 6, 2011
As the title says i want to know which av is best for online gaming and is light on system resources?

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Well for gaming in my experiences, Norton, Webroot, or Eset will do you good.

However, I found Webroot to be the lightest with no FPs in my experience.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Panda Cloud i've found to be quite light on my system.

Best thing to do is to try some out and see what works best for you as not every system will react in the same manner.

P

Plexx

I have already replied to your PM but on my gaming system, best results without FPS drops and Lag: ESET and Comodo AV (5.10/5.12).

EAM was fine but suffered from boot slowdowns.

avast! has a slight drop on FPS. Had to exclude game folders in every option available and its fine now.

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Free - Avast + Comodo FW or Comodo AV+FW (Game Folder in exclusion)

optional you can add Shadow Defender($35) ( The best thing worth your $, worth every penny)

Paid - Webroot AV + Comodo FW(Free)> Eset AV + Comodo FW> Norton IS, etc.

I personally game and i use the free Avast + Comodo FW teamed with Shadow Defender (Paid) :D and Hitman Pro (Kickstart USB just in case, ya i know i am paranoid :-S)

P

Plexx

madyrocksin said:
Though i am not a hardcore gamer,( Biozfear can tell you the best in my opinion )
I would too say, ESET and comodo

Here is what I listed, based on my i7 QM gaming laptop. Note that some systems might have different responsivnesss/performance ratio between Solutions and Online games (even within Online games it varies):

Gamer only system with low risk of infection:
Free Route: Windows Defender disabled, Microsoft Security Essentials as main Real Time Protection or Kingsoft Antivirus or Panda Cloud Antivirus Free.
Paid Route: ESET Antivirus (with HIPS disabled); Emsisoft Anti-Malware; Norton Antivirus.

You can also use avast! and Comodo Antivirus (I still use 5.10/5.12 for personal reaasons, but version 6 should also be ok) (skip Firewall for reasons in the next reply below and beware of HIPS so proper configuration is a must).

mercurial said:
Free - Avast + Comodo FW or Comodo AV+FW (Game Folder in exclusion)

Paid - Webroot AV + Comodo FW(Free)> Eset AV + Comodo FW> Norton IS, etc.

I personally game and i use the free Avast + Comodo FW teamed with Shadow Defender (Paid) :D and Hitman Pro (Kickstart USB just in case, ya i know i am paranoid :-S)

Online gaming and Firewalls sometimes clash. If the firewall has HIPS, even if you configure the rules for the patchers to allow updates, often than not, new patches replace old ones and you have to reconfigure again. SMITE is the perfect example. Every new patch, user must reconfigure rules in Comodo D+ and sometimes in the Firewall. The same behavior is visible in Mamutu Behavior Blocker for SMITE for example, despite having the rule to have it excluded (it asks to update the rule). For Online Armor, I had to allow every new patch.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I dont PC game very much anymore but I always found that ESET worked well for me while gaming.These were versions 4 & 5 though.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I've had good results with Comodo or Avast. With Avast I did add the games resource folders to exclusions, but this wasn't necessary with Comodo.

sarahmsarah

Nov 12, 2012
gambleros said:
As the title says i want to know which av is best for online gaming and is light on system resources?

I use Unthreat Antivirus and it doesn't slow down my computer so I can keep on using my computer while it scans. I totally recommend it.

gambleros

Thread author
Aug 6, 2011
sarahmsarah said:
I use Unthreat Antivirus and it doesn't slow down my computer so I can keep on using my computer while it scans. I totally recommend it.
Any1 tried this av is it any good?
So far the best ones are avast and comodo for free with eset and webroot for paid.
Also what is the difference beteween comodo and avast and comobo 5 vs combo 6?

DarrellGood

Feb 4, 2013
gambleros said:
sarahmsarah said:
Any1 tried this av is it any good?
So far the best ones are avast and comodo for free with eset and webroot for paid.
Also what is the difference beteween comodo and avast and comobo 5 vs combo 6?

I was just searching to see if other people are using this antivirus and I found this. I'm using it and I really like it, like sarahmsarah said, it doesn't slow down my computer which can't be said for a lot of antiviruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.