Battle Best antivirus for grandma/family

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
For grandparents, other family members and clients antivirus is a huge issue. Most of them would rather go without than fork out money for something, so only so few options are left. Each program seems to have something that holds it back or that shines over another. They want something that is free, does what it is told without having to be asked, doesn't slow down the computer or block their favourite websites and applications. On top of this, they want to be able to heavily rely on the program to protect them from today's threats.

I'm interested in other people's opinions on what would be the best product for these people. Currently I've had the most success to date with Microsoft's security essentials. Don't tell me that they can learn and do these 'simple' things themselves. They can't :p!

Quick list with my believed pros/cons:

Avast:
The good:
- excellent detection rates
- good on system
- low false positives
- free
- low/no user input for threats

The bad:
- In order to get optimal protection for these people, I believe a lot of configuration is needed
- Have to set it up/register it for them each year

AVG:
The good:
- good on the system
- low false positives
- free
- almost no configuration needed

The bad:
- average detection rates
- some input may be required

Avira:
The good:
- good on system
- free

The bad:
- toolbar is needed for maximum security
- input is required
- high false positives

Microsoft:
The good:
- good on system
- low false positives
- free
- low/no user input for threats

The bad:
- average detection rates

Panda:
The good:
- free
- good on the system
- low/no user input

The bad:
- toolbar is needed for maximum security
- no internet connect + infected usb = dead computer

Comodo:
The good:
- okay detection rates
- good on the system
- free
- amazing protection

The bad:
- user input is required often

Bitdefender:
The good:
- good on the system
- free
- no/little input required

The bad:
- one time registration required
- buggy?

Quite lengthy but it needs to be detailed as it's important. Let me know what you guys think?

I

illumination

bunyip783 said:
Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad he's had so much succcess with it :).

Welcome :D

He did have success with it. I have come to the conclusion that older generations and novices mainly have something in common.. They do not generally do the things with their computers we do. They are not testing applications, uninstalling, adding ect.. Most of them get on a browser, surf the web, like the local news, weather, and check emails ect. So once CIS is set up, they are pretty much good to go.. As with the case of him, most of the things i had to show him, was how to update it, what to do if he did see a pop up from the autosandbox, and how to answer any pop ups from the hips if he did come across some, took a little time, but he caught on quickly..

I also set a company in this little town up with CIS, the lady that does her book keeping on it, has no clue how to interact with a security suite. They have had that on their system for a year now with no issues. Matter of fact, they swear by it now, as before that they have had a few infections, the machine now stays clean, and same as scenario above, she mainly does book keeping with some light surfing..

So a couple cases where one would think, this would not be a good fit, and worked out just fine. Don't get me wrong, not trying to sway you to go this route, just trying to point out, that just about anything you use, if you take the time to set it up, generally will be ok..

Bill W

Level 1
Verified
Mar 30, 2013
Just get Webroot. If you buy a 3 or 5 licence option you can remotely manage their computer(s) alongside your own. I have been using Webroot for the past year and love it. It's not free, but if you look around specials pop up all the time.

WalterWolf

Level 3
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
William Wonka said:
Just get Webroot. If you buy a 3 or 5 licence option you can remotely manage their computer(s) alongside your own. I have been using Webroot for the past year and love it. It's not free, but if you look around specials pop up all the time.

There is 6 months giveaway so there is no need for buying it atm :) .

Maybe you can add K9 Web Protection because with K9 you can make good web filter,it will help a lot.

F

ForgottenSeer 13700

My parents are... lower than average at computer use, to say the least (my dad got a virus on the computer within a week), and I've been able to install avast!, and they haven't even noticed, as well as MBAM.

Safe to say, it's going well.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
My Mother-in-Law knows nothing about computers so I put avast and added SAS on her laptop and I never hear any complaints about either one and her laptop is virus free.

melen001

Verified
Aug 16, 2013
Just wondering, why aren't any Norton products mentioned? I've been using Norton AntiVirus for a couple of years with excellent results. No problems and quite satisfied with their service also.

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
melen001 said:
Just wondering, why aren't any Norton products mentioned? I've been using Norton AntiVirus for a couple of years with excellent results. No problems and quite satisfied with their service also.
You could always click other and mention that you've had great success with it :). Most family members I know just don't want to pay for antivirus is all.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I provided and setup the following configurations for my family members.

Not all my family members are listed but this will just give you an idea of things I do.

Order: Grandmothers laptop, Mothers tablet, Brother 1 & 2 laptop.
Pretty much all these devices came with some pre-installed AV such as McAfee or Norton all of which I uninstalled as they're just trials from the manufacture. All software used below is FREEWARE and I, or them have no need to use paid software.

Ibucb6V.png
Grandmother | Computer literacy level: Very Novice | System: Windows 7 64-bit 4GB RAM ASUS Laptop

Limited User Account:
No | System Image Backup: Yes | Windows Updates: Automatic

Usage: Weather, Emails, Facebook, Holiday hunting, Average website browsing, image downloads.

Security: Microsoft Security Essentials

Browser: Mozilla Firefox (with AdBlock Plus, Ghostery, Web Of Trust)

Other: TeamViewer Host (Allows me to remotely access her laptop when she needs assistance with anything)

Maintenance: Wise Disk Cleaner (with auto disk cleaning & defrag)

Comment: This setup is working great for her for a long time, no issues with viruses or security threats ever besides one sneaky adware toolbar which I got rid of over TeamViewer.
This setup is simple and effective for her and is quiet which doesn't annoy or confuse her with annoying popups/advertisements.

With WOT she knows now to avoid websites that don't have a green icon on the search engine results page.

1qRMSTM.png
Mother | Computer literacy level: Novice | System: Windows 8 64-bit 2GB RAM Acer Iconia W511

Limited User Account:

Usage: Weather, Astrology, Emails, Facebook, Online shopping & banking, Average website browsing, image downloads.

Security: Windows Defender

Other: N/A

Comment: This setup has worked fine since the start with no security issues arising.
Never been infected before.

With WOT she knows now to avoid websites that don't have a green icon on the search engine results page.

cngcEeV.png
Brother 1 | Computer literacy level: Above Average | System: Windows 8 64-bit 8GB RAM Acer Laptop

Limited User Account:
Yes | System Image Backup: Yes | Windows Updates: Automatic

Usage: Gaming websites, gaming forums, emails, Facebook, Reddit, various downloads.

Security: Avast! Free Antivirus (Custom settings, PUP enabled)

Other: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free (manual quick scan weekly), Hitman Pro Free (with scheduled startup scan)

Comment: Has got himself infected once before back with MSE (Trojan), This happened because I had disabled Limited UAC as this interfered with his PC games installing correctly but since then I have re-enabled so now that it asks for Administrator password input by (Me or Mother) to install applications. I switched out MSE with Avast! Free changed some settings and enabled high PUP detection as this is what the biggest problem is for him I've told him to not rush through program installs and to make sure to un-tick toolbar offers, junkware offers etc when running setups/installers

With WOT he knows now to avoid websites that have a red icon on the search engine results page.
He knows how to scan downloads using right click context menu with Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes, Avast if needed.

cngcEeV.png
Brother 1 | Computer literacy level: Novice | System: Windows 8 64-bit 2GB RAM Acer Laptop
Limited User Account: Yes | System Image Backup: Yes | Windows Updates: Automatic

Usage: Gaming websites, gaming forums, game modding, emails, Facebook, Reddit, various downloads.

Other: Hitman Pro Free (with scheduled startup scan)

Comment: Adware is the biggest problem, I've had to teach him to not rush through program installs and to make sure to un-tick toolbar offers, junkware offers etc when running setups/installers. I've also enabled Limited UAC to help combat it but he requires Administrator password (Me or Mother) to install games/applications.
Since then no issues have happened.

With WOT he knows now to avoid websites that have a red icon on the search engine results page.
He knows how to scan downloads using right click context menu with Hitman Pro and Avast if needed.

As you can see with all configs system image backups have been made as a fail safe resulting from any serious issues not just infections. It takes no more than 5 minutes to restore to an image backup and beats the 20 minute time of freshly installing the OS..
These system image backups are on an EXHDD and never gets connected unless performing backups.
Malware such as Crypto can't touch it.

Feel free to ask questions. Thanks

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
MrXidus said:

Not all my family members are listed but this will just give you an idea of things I do.

Pretty much all these devices came with some pre-installed AV such as McAfee or Norton all of which I uninstalled as they're just trials from the manufacture. All software used below is FREEWARE and I, or them have no need to use paid software.

Ibucb6V.png
Grandmother | Computer literacy level: Very Novice | System: Windows 7 64-bit 4GB RAM ASUS Laptop

Limited User Account:

Usage: Weather, Emails, Facebook, Holiday hunting, Average website browsing, image downloads.

Other: TeamViewer Host (Allows me to remotely access her laptop when she needs assistance with anything)

Comment: This setup is working great for her for a long time, no issues with viruses or security threats ever besides one sneaky adware toolbar which I got rid of over TeamViewer.
This setup is simple and effective for her and is quiet which doesn't annoy or confuse her with annoying popups/advertisements.

1qRMSTM.png
Mother | Computer literacy level: Novice | System: Windows 8 64-bit 2GB RAM Acer Iconia W511

Limited User Account:

Usage: Weather, Astrology, Emails, Facebook, Online shopping & banking, Average website browsing, image downloads.

Comment: This setup has worked fine since the start with no security issues arising.

cngcEeV.png
Brother 1 | Computer literacy level: Above Average | System: Windows 8 64-bit 8GB RAM Acer Laptop

Limited User Account:

Usage: Gaming websites, gaming forums, emails, Facebook, Reddit, various downloads.

Other: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free (manual quick scan weekly), Hitman Pro Free (with scheduled startup scan)

Comment: Has got himself infected once before back with MSE (Trojan), This happened because I had disabled Limited UAC as this interfered with his PC games installing correctly but since then I have re-enabled so now that it asks for Administrator password input by (Me or Mother) to install applications. I switched out MSE with Avast! Free changed some settings and enabled high PUP detection as this is what the biggest problem is for him I've told him to not rush through program installs and to make sure to un-tick toolbar offers, junkware offers etc when running setups/installers

He knows how to scan downloads using right click context menu with Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes, Avast if needed.

cngcEeV.png
Brother 1 | Computer literacy level: Novice | System: Windows 8 64-bit 2GB RAM Acer Laptop
Limited User Account: Yes | System Image Backup: Yes | Windows Updates: Automatic

Usage: Gaming websites, gaming forums, game modding, emails, Facebook, Reddit, various downloads.

Comment: Adware is the biggest problem, I've had to teach him to not rush through program installs and to make sure to un-tick toolbar offers, junkware offers etc when running setups/installers. I've also enabled Limited UAC to help combat it but he requires Administrator password (Me or Mother) to install games/applications.

He knows how to scan downloads using right click context menu with Hitman Pro and Avast if needed.

As you can see with all configs system image backups have been made as a fail safe resulting from any serious issues not just infections. It takes no more than 5 minutes to restore to an image backup and beats the 20 minute time of freshly installing the OS..
These system image backups are on an EXHDD and never gets connected unless performing backups.

2 questions, why wise instead of ccleaner and how is the defrag compared to auslogics?

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
Overkill said:
MrXidus said:

Ibucb6V.png

Limited User Account:

1qRMSTM.png

Limited User Account:

cngcEeV.png

Limited User Account:

cngcEeV.png

2 questions, why wise instead of ccleaner and how is the defrag compared to auslogics?

I prefer it over CCleaner because I feel as if Wise finds and cleans more junk/temp/old useless files, I haven't tested this extensively or in depth so might even be the pseudo effect, I also like its Advanced Cleaner.

The added built in Disk Defrag is a bonus, eliminates the need for a separate 3rd party defrag software. As for how good it is compared to other defrag programs I have no clue just how to compare to others, I do feel they all do a good job of their own and results vary of course.

One way to give the ability for CCleaner to find more junk one can use a free utility called CCEnhancer and I did use this for a long time.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm sure the kids that are into warez are more likely to get infected, than a novice user with some basic knowledge about unknown downloads and email attachments.

Minimise the risks, by keeping the software used up-to-date and anything else can be uninstalled.

If the PC is running a Pro version of Windows 7/8, you can block any executable files from running from the Downloads folder (ie. file needs to be moved, in order to run). - I posted it somewhere.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I prefer it over CCleaner because I feel as if Wise finds and cleans more junk/temp/old useless files, I haven't tested this extensively or in depth so might even be the pseudo effect, I also like its Advanced Cleaner.

The added built in Disk Defrag is a bonus, eliminates the need for a separate 3rd party defrag software. As for how good it is compared to other defrag programs I have no clue just how to compare to others, I do feel they all do a good job of their own and results vary of course.

One way to give the ability for CCleaner to find more junk one can use a free utility called CCEnhancer and I did use this for a long time.

I feel like if piriform thought it needed more thorough cleaning they would add it, may I ask what extra's you ticked in CCEnhancer?

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
Overkill said:

I feel like if piriform thought it needed more thorough cleaning they would add it, may I ask what extra's you ticked in CCEnhancer?

Piriform has just provided the basic routes to clean where as users of Piriform forum have added other routes that can be cleaned from junk. Basically CCleaner is the bread and CCEnhancer is the butter.

CCEnhancer is a small tool which adds support for over 1,000 new programs, It's been a long time since I used CCleaner so I cannot remember all the options I ticked of course and used as it completely depends on which programs you have installed on your PC so that CCleaner can find junk/temp traces and delete them.

MidniteRider

Level 1
Verified
Sep 15, 2013
MrXidus said:
Overkill said:

Piriform has just provided the basic routes to clean where as users of Piriform forum have added other routes that can be cleaned from junk. Basically CCleaner is the bread and CCEnhancer is the butter.

CCEnhancer is a small tool which adds support for over 1,000 new programs, It's been a long time since I used CCleaner so I cannot remember all the options I ticked of course and used as it completely depends on which programs you have installed on your PC so that CCleaner can find junk/temp traces and delete them.

Been using CCEnhancer for quite a while, it's just amazing.
P.S.: I voted for MSE. AFAIK, grandmas don't have any risky Internet habits (like downloading pirated software or porn), so it's more than enough. And it's also user-friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.