Status
Not open for further replies.

superboy123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 1, 2012
hello everyone...
I would like to ask which antivirus is better for a low spec computer (low ram/ CPU specs).

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
starchild76 said:
comodo internet security
:huh::crazy:
superboy123 said:
hello everyone...i want ask which antivirus is better for low ram....
Outpost Security Suite PRO, ESET NOD32, BullGuard Internet Security,
Avast!, Webroot SecureAnywhere

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What kind of low-spec PC? How much installed RAM, single or dual-core CPU? Operating system?

Z

ZeroDay

I'd say the lightest is Webroot SecureAnywhere, but all products can run differently on different machinesso I'd create a system image and try a few out.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would also say, any security software and as long as it doesn't thrash the CPU.

My thought of low memory is anything less than 1024MB of RAM. So I'm surprised to see new PC users think 2GB is "low memory". Different time-eras? :lolz:

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Well, I have a low memory Laptop which is 2GB (Yes, I consider it low memory)

I recommend Webroot, Comodo, Norton, and Avast.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
UnThreat = Sunbelt GFI Viper engine.

ZNzXTIm.png
[/img]

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I have an Asus laptop, eee pc, intel atom, 4 GB RAM and is currently the Norton IS 2013 v.20.3.1.22 with 30 days trial yesterday but could extend to 180 days through the help of Youtube. It is light and not locking the effective operation of the PC.
But recommend Webroot protects more than it should and Comodo IS is free, lightweight and competent.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
If your system has 2GB of RAM or more the amount of memory that your security products use should be your least concern.

Worry more about system response time- which one makes your system run slower.

Just because a software uses more memory doesn't mean it will make your system run slower- that is a misconception.

Some security software may use a lot more memory but still run lighter then others that use less memory. So the memory used is not an accurate way to tell if a software will run light or heavy and has very little to do with your system's response time.

So if a security products uses more memory don knock it until you try it because it could run much lighter and smoother then others that use little memory.

Thanks.:D

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

I would recommend...
Free AV: Avast
Paid AV: Norton, ESET, Webroot

Also be sure to include on-demand scanners like Malwarebytes, Comodo Cleaning Essentials, etc...

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
If you have a stable internet connection i would recommend a cloud AV. Most traditional AVs have a huge database which they hide somewhere in the virtual memory space. Cloud AVs don not have these.

I would also categorize 2GB as low memory. I am on a 4GB system and if i open photoshop together with chrome i am in for a bad time.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Another factor for classifying low memory would depend on the OS in use? ie. Windows XP with 2GB is above average, whereas on Windows Vista wouldn't be. Just a thought, after hearing your opinions on the low RAM subject. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.