Best Backup

FrankN209

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 30, 2016
What is the best way to do a full backup if my system borks and I have to do a reinstall? I've tried the build in Windows Image, but I kept getting errors when trying to restore them. I ended up getting Aomei Pro. Should this be good enough? Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks

Garzaman

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2017
There are several ways to do it. Aomei free/pro or Macrium free/pro are an excellent option.
the important thing is that, if you can, make your backup on an external unit that is not connected to the internet.
I have an incremental plan (Aomei) and another differential (Macrium). Both n external units and I feel really protected

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

What is the best way to do a full backup if my system borks and I have to do a reinstall? I've tried the build in Windows Image, but I kept getting errors when trying to restore them. I ended up getting Aomei Pro. Should this be good enough? Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks

I just keep important stuff in a cascade encrypted cloud drive and use WIndows 10 Refresh if there is ever an issue. I'm back up and running in 20 minutes.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Aomei and Macrium Reflect are both good. Both have free versions. I like MR better, personally.
As mentioned, you should ideally make a backup on an external hard disk that you keep disconnected -- both physically and network-wise -- from your computer.
Next best is to save images on a second hard disk in your computer.
I make weekly images to an external hard disk, and daily ones to an internal second disk.

CoherentCrayon

Level 4
Verified
Jun 23, 2017
EaseUS Todo Backup
It is a good backup software. I use it for several years.
I programmed it to backup weekly, full (for partitions, system and documents).
I used it several times to restore successfully.
Read here Free backup software for home users in Windows 10/8.1/8/7/vista - EaseUS Todo Backup.
The only thing I hate about EaseUS Todo Backup and the reason I stopped using it, is that the backup notifications (which I didn't find a way to disable) minimizes fullscreen windows, for example games. That is unacceptable for a gamer

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
The best backup is a backup that works great for you. The top two that I'd recommend that has already been mentioned is Aomei free/pro or Macrium free/pro. Great choices as mentioned by @Garzaman !

I have been using Acronis True Image for a long time. Sometimes you can get it for free on Newegg through a special. I got the 2017 version a while back and upgraded it to the 2018 version for free (free of any and all costs).

The only thing I hate about EaseUS Todo Backup and the reason I stopped using it, is that the backup notifications (which I didn't find a way to disable) minimizes fullscreen windows, for example games. That is unacceptable for a gamer

EaseUS Todo Backup is ok....However, I have heard far too many sad stories of stuff getting lost in this program due to random things happening. With this being said, I wouldn't recommend this software to anyone at the present time.

Top choices:

Aomei Free
Macrium Free
Aomei Pro (I'd go for the lifetime myself for the extra $10 dollars or so)
Macrium Pro
Acronis True Image Free for Seagate and Western Digital Users
Acronis True Image 2017 & 2018

I would always keep a full backup on hand - meaning a full disk image. Personally, I would even take it a step further (**if you feel comfortable**) and test the backup/restore processes. This is what I did with Aomei Free and I liked the software so much I sprung for the lifetime of the pro. I also liked Acronis True Image so much that I went for the 2017 version and got a free upgrade to 2018 through their current promotion that is still active. This was after using the free version of Acronis True Image for Seagate and Western Digital users.

Excellent questions! Keep them coming!

FrankN209

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 30, 2016
Thanks everyone, this is some good info. I have a different question. I'm cloning my moms old toshiba laptop with EaseUS Todo Backup free. The laptop has an old 500gb 5400rpm hd, I'm upgrading to a Samsung 500gb Evo 850. Is it typical for this to take hours to complete? At first it was 30m, then 1.5 hrs and now almost 2.5 hrs to complete. I know 5400 rpm is deathly slow compared to today's hdds.

Garzaman

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks everyone, this is some good info. I have a different question. I'm cloning my moms old toshiba laptop with EaseUS Todo Backup free. The laptop has an old 500gb 5400rpm hd, I'm upgrading to a Samsung 500gb Evo 850. Is it typical for this to take hours to complete? At first it was 30m, then 1.5 hrs and now almost 2.5 hrs to complete. I know 5400 rpm is deathly slow compared to today's hdds.
Maybe, in my system, i-5 2320, 3Ghz, it takes almost 30 min. , so I think it may be a normal speed on your mom's computer.

Whenever you make a backup on an external drive slows down a little more, I usually check that the recycle bin and the download folder are empty. ;)

It is also advisable not to use the computer while performing the backup. I do not remember now if Easeus TB prevents the computer from going into suspension, it is good to verify that this is not happening. Years ago I used Cobian and sometimes the computer went into sleep mode in the middle of the backup.

Patience :sleep:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Had to close my eyes for a few seconds and recalled IMO one of the most important lessons when it comes to backups.

No matter what brand, vendor, shape or form you choose to implement/use always, always actually test your backup/s from time to time as otherwise it could very fast plain and simple become...

iOnvZfhg_o.gif

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.