Best brand for modem--may need new one soon

Which is the best brand for a new Modem in 2017?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Have been looking a bit deeper into this, the 8200 seems better than the 6190. The 6190 has a flawed intel chip in it that has some known issues
The Arris SB6190 Modem & Puma 6 Chipset Have Some Major Issues

6190 is better than the 8200 because of matured firmware. The PUMA issues as I noted earlier in this thread were vastly overstated and later corrected in Firmware. Currently the 6190 is the best option. Right now the 8200 has some firmware bugs and error correction issues.

orthonovum

Level 3
Verified
Jun 17, 2017
6190 is better than the 8200 because of matured firmware. The PUMA issues as I noted earlier in this thread were vastly overstated and later corrected in Firmware. Currently the 6190 is the best option. Right now the 8200 has some firmware bugs and error correction issues.

What about the DOCSIS 3.0 vs 3.1? Do I need to take that into consideration?

Reactions: AtlBo

orthonovum

Level 3
Verified
Jun 17, 2017
Probably nothing you need to worry about. It certainly will not do you any good if you ISP does not support it. If they will be going to 3.1 in the near future, and you plan on upgrading your service, then you might consider getting a 3.1 modem now since you are shopping for a new one.

Thanks for the info! I think I am going to pickup the 6190 its pretty cheap. Hopefully I can do the self activation and not have to call Comcast with my MAC to get it to work... I am going to get a new IP which will be a slight pain since I will have to re-issue a cert for my VPN portal but that's just a couple minutes of work.

Right now I am using an Arris TM822G that they provided (I do not use it for a voice line)

orthonovum

Level 3
Verified
Jun 17, 2017
Update, I grabbed the 6190 and replaced my Comcast rental modem. My speeds are exactly the same but now I will save $10.00

I consistently get 124 Down and 12 Up with the old and the new modem both but after 10 years with this service I have given Comcast a lot of extra money with those rental fees.

p.s. How do I check/update the firmware on this thing now?

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
arris support page should have it all.

am surprised that so many users are still using the modem / router provided by their isp & paying monthly fees.

orthonovum

Level 3
Verified
Jun 17, 2017
arris support page should have it all.

am surprised that so many users are still using the modem / router provided by their isp & paying monthly fees.

Yeah, really for me it was just pure lazyness to be honest lol but im turning in the provided modem tomorrow. It looks like this 6190 is updated by the ISP. accessing the web UI from my network does not even give me any admin or config options only read only logs and status options.

Interesting fact: On the management IP (192.168.100.1) this modem has SMTP port open (filtered) as well as 445 and 139 (these are also filtered) and of course port 80 and 443 (unfiltered)

Reactions: ispx

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thank every one of you very much for your commentary. I can get a little more specific now. This week NETGEAR DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed Cable Modem with 24x 8 Channel Bonding (CM600) is on sale for $99.99, and all TP-Link Modems are 15% off.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Update, I grabbed the 6190 and replaced my Comcast rental modem. My speeds are exactly the same but now I will save $10.00

I consistently get 124 Down and 12 Up with the old and the new modem both but after 10 years with this service I have given Comcast a lot of extra money with those rental fees.

p.s. How do I check/update the firmware on this thing now?

Firmware will auto-push from your ISP. 6190 is generally considered the best 3.0 modem because of the mature FW. SMTP filtered because your ISP likely throttles it on a non-business network, SMB probably filtered for similar reasons and for security purposes.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I am considering buying the TP-Link TC-7620 FOR $67.99 (US) before it goes off sale at closing time tonight. Would be interested in any input on that.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I am considering buying the TP-Link TC-7620 FOR $67.99 (US) before it goes off sale at closing time tonight. Would be interested in any input on that.

Check the provisioning of your carrier. Some over provision. For example WideOpenWest you won't get over 110Mbps with that modem. It's only 16/4 and WOW over provisions their channels to guarantee higher speed most of the time. Other providers vary, but you should probably know their provisioning guidelines to make an informed decision.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
My choices in order of preference for ADSL/ADSL2+ modems (not including modem routers)

a) Linksys (my most frequently used for a decade till they were replaced by TP-Link modems)
b) TP-Link (excellent price/performance)
c) D-Link (one of my D-Link modems is 10-15 years old. And continues to work today)
d) Netgear (had one so long ago I can't remember the model)

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I'm going with Netgear, and my humble opinion, if you have the ability to use the vertical support, this is the best thing to better dissipate the heat.

Reactions: frogboy and ispx

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
it seems to me that it is necessary to choose a modem not by name but by parameters
Since the modem is the "gateway" device, that is, the device that connects your network to your ISP, it would be a good idea to check your ISP's website for a list of compatible modems.

Reactions: plat1098

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.