Battle best & fast VM software

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadiq90

Thread author
Nov 25, 2011
I used VMware workstation but sometimes it's slow the virtual system.
which one of those software is the best && why? no matter if was paid version

thanks & sorry for my bad Eng. :blush:

P

Plexx

Hi there and welcome!

I have WMWare Workstation but I have used Virtual Box before.

Virtual Box was faster on some Linux distros compared to VMWare Workstation.

I also had an issue installing Win7 on Virtual Box while I had no problem on VMWare Workstation.

I suppose I could give VMWare Player a test run.

Note that the above is only my opinion, so it is best to wait for a few users to post their opinions.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hello and welcome :)

I currently us VMware for my testing and YouTube videos and find that it works and has more options then any other VM software. I have used Virtual Box before and found that it was good but not as good as VMware, but the choice is up to you ;)

Once again welcome :D

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
I like Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. Its' very easy to use and works very fast, although it is getting a bit long in the tooth now. Also I have never had compatibility issues with any software I have tested on it. I have tried Virtual Box and WMware player and didn't get on with them at all.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
MetalShaun said:
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
If you have a good computer with 4GB RAM or more, use VMware Workstation.

Why???

Exactly why?? When you have 4GB and higher you can use other VM software like Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 and Virtual Box?

P

Plexx

I am also curious to know why. By tomorrow I'll have Player downloaded so I will test run the same image on both versions (Workstation and Player).

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I've used VMWare Player for quite a while now and have been happy with it, but the latest release has some issues that annoy me.

(Resumed machines don't seem to want to poll the host for the correct time, and sometimes machines open with the window stuck at the size of the VM manager window instead of maximizing)

So I decided to play around with VirtualBox. I've been pretty pleased so far.

VB has been able to open every .vdmk file I've created with VMWare Player except for the clone of my physical Windows machine. I can only assume that is due the difference in (virtual) hardware. It doesn't give any error message other than "Unable to start virtual machine." Sadly, this also kills the machine if you then try to open it in VMWare Player. :( (That's what backups are for, right?)

I like the fact that VB can even create a machine in the .vmdk format so you can use the machine in both VB and VMWare. (It will also do VirtualPC and Parallels files)

I also like the fact that VB has full snapshot capability. With VMWare Player, I was limited to a single snapshot. (Suspend/resume)

As for speed, I honestly can't tell a difference whether I have the machine running in VMWare or VirtualBox. VMware Player does suspend/resume slightly quicker, but not enough that I'd consider that a strike against VB.

It's considerably easier on some Linux distros to install the guest tools in VirtualBox than on VMWare. In fact, on Ubuntu/Kubuntu, all you have to do is click on Install Guest Additions and the virtual CD is mounted and the OS asks if you want to run the auto-run content. You say yes and it does everything else. Quite a bit easier than mounting VMWare-tools, extracting the archive and manually running the installer through the command-line. There are even a few distros that I've never actually been able to make the VMWare tools support copy/paste functionality between host and guest work, while with VB tools, I can copy/paste just fine. VMWare tools also corrupted the kernel of Fedora 16, (oddly, the compiler didn't have any errors...) while VB tools did not.

VB is a bit less resource intensive with a VM running. RAM and CPU usage aren't drastically different going by the numbers, but the the host machine is more responsive with a VM running in VirtualBox than when I'm running a VM in VMWare Player.

I'm still using VMWare Player for my Windows applications testing, but I've started running my Linux machines exclusively in VirtualBox.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
i have been using vmware player to test any new application...since it is free and also personally i think it is little bit light than vmware workstation.....

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
I choose VMware workstation.
Because in my experience; I just felt 50% slow, if I run VMware on my old laptop (with celeron 1,7GHz and 1,5GB ram)

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Currently using Virtual box but the best I think is VMware workstation is the best.

I would use workstation but its expensive and Vmware player does not support snapshots so Virtual box wins for free ofc.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
3link9 said:
I would use workstation but its expensive and Vmware player does not support snapshots so Virtual box wins for free ofc.

It does have a single snapshot. (suspend) Definitely not ideal, but useful nonetheless.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
HeffeD said:
3link9 said:

It does have a single snapshot. (suspend) Definitely not ideal, but useful nonetheless.

Oh they do? Well alright then. Thanks for telling me that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.