App Review Best Firewall for Windows (The PC Security Channel)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
So this is only for laptops? Because at home we have our router's firewall.
Comodo Firewall is extremely annoying... I say either use Windows Firewall or buy a cheap AV that includes firewall, like AVG Internet Security.
Hardened Windows Firewall is just fine, but I actually agree with him that Comodo Firewall might be the best third-party firewall out there that isn't only restricted to it's firewall component but can also add some extra protection to your existing security solution. It can get annoying with those popups, but user interaction is what Comodo FW is made for.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
The best in protection also means the worst in compatibility. I still remember all BSODs I had. Good old Comodo times. :D
Recommending Comodo Firewall to average users is just wrong, if you do no include a warning. I recommend them Glasswire.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Recommending Comodo Firewall to average users is just wrong, if you do no include a warning. I recommend them Glasswire.
True LOL, unless you know what a socket is and WIM and all the rest of the Windows components Comodo protects, the HIPs alerts will just be nonsense and useless...and yes annoying. That said, Cloud lookup enabled with the Comodo Trusted Vendor list in place is not a bad experience, but do have to know how to deal with unexpected blocks for many things like drivers and obscure software, etc. Also, need to know when to bypass the alerts and when to "power through" them.

I have learned how to live with Comodo, when to allow once knowing there will likely be another pop up if something dangerous may be coming or when to block once without committing to the block, because I may change my mind later. Overall, for a knowledgeable user, Comodo is close to what I am seeking security-wise. No doubt, it's not for anyone who is seeking merely a firewall, however.

Someone someday will advance Comodo firewall in ever so nice and subtle ways (like folder protection that functions on its own set up rules rather than HIPS). I am looking forward to that day...

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Been using Comodo firewall off and on almost since it was born. Other than the bad release a couple of years ago, never had a problem with it and nothing I didn't want ever got in. I just configure it with Cruelsister's settings and don't screw with much else.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
CF can be annoying, particularly without preset IPv6 rules. Having said that, I don't get much, if any alerts with Proactve Configuraion default preset of Alert Incoming and auto-containment set to restricted.

Microsoft Defender firewall dies well at blocking incoming and some outgoing but better paired with @Andy Ful 's Firewall Hardening or WFC.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
From time to time in the past I have done videos myself, and in doing them I made sure not to be either sloppy and/or disruptive in reviewing a product. Sadly the author of this video has other standards.

Specifically please note that the strength of CF is Containment. And what is the setting used in the video? You may note that it is Disabled. Just as bad can be seen in the original ransomware sample used- Wasted Locker. This guy is not exactly fresh- so why was there not an AV alert for a block? The answer here is rather simple (and can be reproduced by any out there who test) and is that the Cloud lookup was also disabled (not shown on the video setup, but trust me on this). Also all the samples used in this- Shade, Wasted Locker, and Kitty would be also stopped by the AV module before the HIPS would have even reacted and actually really couldn't even get into containment.

Perhaps the author should spend less time on product commercials and more time on actually understanding what is being done.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I've watched a few of his videos over time, and I am of the opinion he goes into them with the view that this or that software will fail, and it's his job to make it happen. Either that or he has an agenda (which is the same thing in different words). Either way, I stopped watching his stuff long ago. It appears from this and others here he hasn't changed.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
From time to time in the past I have done videos myself, and in doing them I made sure not to be either sloppy and/or disruptive in reviewing a product. Sadly the author of this video has other standards.

Specifically please note that the strength of CF is Containment. And what is the setting used in the video? You may note that it is Disabled. Just as bad can be seen in the original ransomware sample used- Wasted Locker. This guy is not exactly fresh- so why was there not an AV alert for a block? The answer here is rather simple (and can be reproduced by any out there who test) and is that the Cloud lookup was also disabled (not shown on the video setup, but trust me on this). Also all the samples used in this- Shade, Wasted Locker, and Kitty would be also stopped by the AV module before the HIPS would have even reacted and actually really couldn't even get into containment.

Perhaps the author should spend less time on product commercials and more time on actually understanding what is being done.
There is always at least one person that doesn't agree with his testing techniques when there is a discussion about his videos. Somehow I never see those opinions in his comments where it's more likely for him to read it. So while I fully agree with what you are saying I don't understand why people (not just you) don't try to get to him instead of talking on Wilders or MalwareTips behind his back. I am also not a big fan of his evolution but still think that hes not trying to fool anyone.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
If he isn't trying to fool anyone, he's completely ignorant of the software he tests.
From time to time that is true, but just because he doesn't have auto containment enabled it doesn't mean that hes trying to distort the result. He mentiones at the start of the video that Comodo comes with auto containment and doesn't pretend that it isn't there. Running ransomware in a sandbox just isn't as interesting as a HIPS module that gives alerts after every file action. In the end hes still mainly trying to address basic users that are not that deep into the cyber security topic, at least thats how it looks to me. So he has to make the video interesting, and it's not interesting to see a ransomware file crashing in a sandbox...

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Containment is enabled, at least in all the recent versions of CF I've used. A newbie, or basic, user just installs and doesn't mess with settings. Thus, PC Security is not running it in basic settings. He's altering them, weakening them. Thus, in my opinion he's presenting false results regarding the firewall.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Containment is enabled, at least in all the recent versions of CF I've used. A newbie, or basic, user just installs and doesn't mess with settings. Thus, PC Security is not running it in basic settings. He's altering them, weakening them. Thus, in my opinion he's presenting false results regarding the firewall.
He never bothers to learn how apps work before he starts flipping switches.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
So this is only for laptops? Because at home we have our router's firewall.
Comodo Firewall is extremely annoying... I say either use Windows Firewall or buy a cheap AV that includes firewall, like AVG Internet Security.
No its not, you will not see alerts if you set it to be so. ( I mean there is a setting for that- to see less or no alerts at all).

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Comodo's Firewall has become a very versatile firewall over the years.
Its certainly is among the best windows based firewalls around today.

It's sad that other windows based firewalls like PCTools Firewall Plus and
Sygate's Personal Firewall which was bought over by Symantec who basically destroyed them shortly after that.
Where is the Antitrust laws when you need them. :LOL:

FALC0N

Mar 29, 2021

No. Auto-contain is disabled by default in the current version of the firewall. Its enabled by default in Comodo Antivirus and I think both versions of Comodo Internet Security.

FALC0N

Mar 29, 2021
No its not, you will not see alerts if you set it to be so. ( I mean there is a setting for that- to see less or no alerts at all).
Exactly. It's not like to have to deal with the alerts if you don't want to. And you can configure "no alert mode" to default deny, default execute, or let Comodo decide. Another option is to disable the HIPS and let the Auto-contain and VirusScope do the heavy lifting. I really wonder if people who complain about the alerts really understood how to use the program. Its very configurable. Easily the best stand alone firewall out there.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.