Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
If you can believe the latest test result (AV-TEST) and the purpose is defending from android malware the best choice would be Bitdefender Free.
For Samsung users the built-in device maintenance (based on McAfee) is an even excellent choice.
If you go for the most (free) features, then Sophos Intercept X for Mobile is the best choice with slightly less protection.
One of its best features is giving advice on how to improve your device security.

Recent test of Bitdefender (not the free version tested):
Recent test of McAfee (engine and signatures used by Samsung):
Recent test of Sophos:
More about its features on this page from Sophos:

If you already run another AV or suite on your desktop or laptop using the same on your mobile could make sense.
You can check all the other consumer and business results here in these two links:

Last edited:

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
If you can believe the latest test result (AV-TEST) and the purpose is defending from android malware the best choice would be Bitdefender Free.
For Samsung users the built-in device maintenance (based on McAfee) is an even excellent choice.
If you go for the most (free) features, then Sophos Intercept X for Mobile is the best choice with slightly less protection.
One of its best features is giving advice on how to improve your device security.

Recent test of Bitdefender (not the free version tested):
Recent test of McAfee (engine and signatures used by Samsung):
Recent test of Sophos:
More about its features on this page from Sophos:

If you already run another AV or suite on your desktop or laptop using the same on your mobile could make sense.
You can check all the other consumer and business results here in these two links:
Yeah lets trust lab tests which just say all AV's have a 100% detection ratios, including PUP's which just uses the avira engine.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
For Huawei users even Google Play Protect is better then the built-in ( not McAfee btw ). Unless they switched to another brand with their latest models? 🤷‍♂️

Basic test :

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
For Huawei users even Google Play Protect is better then the built-in ( not McAfee btw ). Unless they switched to another brand with their latest models? 🤷‍♂️

Basic test :
Any idea what they use for their av?

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I have voted for BitDefender, since I found it to be the most complete app for Android out of all I've tried (which were pretty much all). Bloatware-free, clean interface, light, and what I liked most (which no other antivirus for Android had), is that App Locker module can detect wether you're on a trusted Wi-Fi network and unlock all your apps, then relock them as soon as you leave the network (your house or your work).

Anyways, that's on my corporate phone. On my Samsung Galaxy phone I use the built-in McAfee protection.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Any idea what they use for their av?

15-34-04.gif

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.