Battle Best (free) AV for old XP school computers

NekoJonez

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
Hi guys and girls.

So, I was wondering... My previous job was being an IT guy at a secondary school (high school)...

It's quite a large school with over 1500 students and around 200-300 staff. So yeah, TONS of computers are in use there.

When I was asked to upgrade one of their computer labs, I noticed that the budget we got was so tiny, we weren't even able to upgrade everything to Windows 7. So, most of them are still running good old Windows XP.

The AV was MSE, but since XP "died"... It's not supported anymore. So, I removed it and installed Avira Free. The system runs actually faster after I did that.

But I wonder, what free AV would be the best to install on low end XP school pc's. And even what would be the best free AV if they upgrade it to Windows 7?

I choose Avira since it allowed the IT guys to make one account and manage them all from that central account. It also found the adware & malware previous scanners missed. But when I see tests of Avira lately on the forum here, I see a lot of malicious URL's aren't blocked. So, I'm curious.... Would another AV have been better?

Thanks in advance.

(And for the curious, the job there was actually as a volunteer. I work in that school when I don't have a job. Now, I do have a job in the educational system as a planner for exams and such.)

I

illumination

If these computers are allowed to connect to a network/internet i would strongly advise you to have a sit down with the school board about allocating some funds for this department. Windows xp has had its support dropped as you are aware, and no anti virus is going to help fix the vulnerability that xp now is. Hundreds of machines even if only a portion of these with xp, is a serious problem waiting to happen on that network. You as an IT can not guarantee the safety of this network working with that OS.

Šovelén

Level 3
Verified
Mar 29, 2014
What is "old school computer" with Windows XP?
For years i have in school´seen nothing worse than Windows 7...

But okay, let's say it's like the old C2D (or PentiumD) with 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD and 128 megabytes graphics card (eg GF6600)
Recommendation? Windows 7 32bit ;) :D

No - seriously ... Personally, i would vote 360TSE or CIS Premium - also free + !! FW !! better than Windows XP!
This necessity is there enough forgotten... ;)

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
AVG.

Have tried most of them(except 360:() on my Pentium 4, 1GB of ram muckabout rig and AVG seemed to have the perfect combination of effectiveness and lightness.

What AVG missed during the download it pounced on during execution of the file.Plus I was able to open up quite a few programs without any noticeable slowdown.

AVG teamed up with Private Firewall or CFW might be a good combination ?

Regards Eck:)

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Hi guys and girls.

So, I was wondering... My previous job was being an IT guy at a secondary school (high school)...

It's quite a large school with over 1500 students and around 200-300 staff. So yeah, TONS of computers are in use there.

When I was asked to upgrade one of their computer labs, I noticed that the budget we got was so tiny, we weren't even able to upgrade everything to Windows 7. So, most of them are still running good old Windows XP.

The AV was MSE, but since XP "died"... It's not supported anymore. So, I removed it and installed Avira Free. The system runs actually faster after I did that.

But I wonder, what free AV would be the best to install on low end XP school pc's. And even what would be the best free AV if they upgrade it to Windows 7?

I choose Avira since it allowed the IT guys to make one account and manage them all from that central account. It also found the adware & malware previous scanners missed. But when I see tests of Avira lately on the forum here, I see a lot of malicious URL's aren't blocked. So, I'm curious.... Would another AV have been better?

Thanks in advance.

(And for the curious, the job there was actually as a volunteer. I work in that school when I don't have a job. Now, I do have a job in the educational system as a planner for exams and such.)
If you could afford it you could contact avast! and get a deal done for their endpoint protection, Sophos is also a good AV for commercial use, free AV's aren't enough for commercial use.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Although I would suggest upgrading to a security patch supplied Windows (of course only if there's cash avaiable for), you might not do much harm with trusting Qihoo 360 Total Security (not the first one mentioning it :p):

Low system impact, strong cloud protection (if you wish, accompanied by Avira + BD engine for offline protection, taking more RAM), system cleaning tool (no need to use it, but implemented @ Total Security), quite often updated with new features and bug fixes. Fast reaction on new threats, polite and fast customer service. Nice and clear UI.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.