Best free firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
In my opinion windows firewall is quite good but it does not give you any options in regard to out going connections, which can be very easily taken care of.

Reactions: frogboy

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
So I used comodo for a long time and I think that it is an awesome piece of software, however it does slow down the system quite a bit and I am seeing that there are slight bugs in the software that could be patched up.
After that I moved on to Online Armor just to test it out and I really liked it at first but there was a huge problem for it, it was that my VPN just would not connect, I found out that this was due the ports being blocked by OA and in the free version there isn't much configuration so I couldn't open the port, I just ditched it entirely.
And now we talk about where I currently am, which is just using the in-build windows firewall working with my Avira antivirus. So far it has been very good, no issues with any software of VPN or anything else. Using Avira helps to enhance the Windows Firewall and I think I am happy with that.

Reactions: Hangtooth and scot

Amiral7224

Level 1
Mar 3, 2015
Personally I love Windows Firewall, it does a decent job.I would recommend Comodo Firewall if you want a lightweight free firewall that isnt with windows, in case you've seen the "security" Microsoft Security Essentials has to offer.Or you might want to consider upgrading your current Bitdefender product, they recently had a special Bitdefender Internet Security for 20.15$

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Recently took to using Windows Firewall Control and so far so good.

Qrc0qBy.png
XC44UYY.png
Q8mDIIL.png

While there is a free version there is a downside to having to donate/register to use the notifications feature.

Another option to look at and completely free is TinyWall.

Reactions: Hangtooth
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.