Battle Best Free Second Opinion Scanner

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Excluding real-time protection, which one of the following do you think acts as the best free second opinion scanner giving the best protection by finding and removing malware.

HitmanPro requires a pro version to clean malware so it's not included in the list.

If you can please list Pro's and Con's for each scanner it would be of great help

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
HerdProtect is currently not available, but it looks promising. Who pays them anyway? They don't even have an Impressum on their page.
herdprtect is almost dead now. The engines are outdated, signatures are not really updated
tested with some new malwares, it performed really badly

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I just changed my vote. Back in the day I voted for Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK). but I've stopped using it a while ago. Taking ages to update and requiring a lot of updates. Plus it is not really catching much lately on my scans on VM's. I don't know why this might be, but I used to use it to disinfect machines and now it's almost impossible due to the time you need to wait for it tu update. I vote Zemana :)

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I just changed my vote. Back in the day I voted for Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK). but I've stopped using it a while ago. Taking ages to update and requiring a lot of updates. Plus it is not really catching much lately on my scans on VM's. I don't know why this might be, but I used to use it to disinfect machines and now it's almost impossible due to the time you need to wait for it tu update. I vote Zemana :)

Zemana left stuff behind after uninstalling.

Reactions: Weebarra and Nestor

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
can be easily removed by running this bat as admin
Dropbox - remove zemana.bat

zemana is still the best against fileless malwares

But not everyone can access that bat file. Zemana either need to improve the built in uninstaller or make an additional removal tool to clean up the the stuff left behind.

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool and Norton Power Eraser
I don't think we should still use this thread for what it was intended more than a year ago. :unsure: The votes are probably very outdated today. :giggle:
Heard Protect has not had any work done on it in a long time, it was incorporated into Reason Core Security.
Thank you I'll take a look at that. Is that recommended?

Reactions: oldschool

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@illumination Better choices that also use 68 anti malware engines?
herprotect uses 68 engines but almost all of them are outdated => useless
its main engine is ReasonCore which is constantly updated

the best practice I can think of is using multiple second opinion scanners: zemana + norton power eraser + hitmanpro
they are all free, portable and quite fast. They have pros & cons and they compensate each others

an alternative is SecureAplus with 12 engines (slightly delayed). However, it's not portable

Aerdian

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2018

Interesting. I actually find Zemana fails to catch a lot of infections, but Emsisoft Emergency Kit is able to catch most of the infections.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Interesting. I actually find Zemana fails to catch a lot of infections, but Emsisoft Emergency Kit is able to catch most of the infections.
Not the case (here). Emsisoft goes for specific malware infections and is probably better to find deep stuff. Zemana is much more useful for me in terms of general disinfecting machines from hidden malware, appdata malware, adware, rogueware, certificates, etc.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.