Best Free Security Software for Windows

B

Brian

Thread author
Hi everyone,

I created a new page: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/best-free-security-software/

The following security software is available for use at no cost. All of the security software listed here is reputable and effective and works on all versions of Windows operating system. You will also find links to excellent, up to date reviews.

I would appreciate any feedback. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: [New] Best Free Security Software for Windows

Have you considered?
-ZoneAlarm Free Firewall - I tried the latest version 10 last week. Nice piece of software, but it wasn't for me.

Would it be worth mentioning BitLocker for Windows Vista/7 Ultimate owners?
Edit: Even though you wrote - "works on all versions of Windows operating system"

Good addition to the site.

B

Brian

Thread author

I added ZoneAlarm. I might add Bitlocker. Thanks for your suggestions.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

I'm suggesting that you can add BufferZone Pro under "Free Browser Protection Tools".

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011

You can also add AVG Free Edition, what do you think?
Download AVG Free: http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/

B

Brian

Thread author

Update:

- Removed ZoneAlarm Firewall
- Added Belarc Advisor
- Added BufferZone Pro
- Added Macrium Reflect
- Added HTTPS Everywhere

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

geohac said:
Update:

- Removed ZoneAlarm Firewall
- Added Belarc Advisor
- Added BufferZone Pro
- Added Macrium Reflect
- Added HTTPS Everywhere

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. :)

Why did you remove ZoneAlarm Free? Do you realize it is the last true stand-alone firewall and is very novice friendly even has cloud technology from Kaspesky Labs to block known malware connections. It is the perfect firewall for novice users who don't know how to use HIPS features or advanced users who just don't want or need HIPS features.

Thanks.:D

B

Brian

Thread author

I looked at the latest score from Matousec: http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

ZoneAlarm received a product score of only 7%.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

geohac said:
I looked at the latest score from Matousec: http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

ZoneAlarm received a product score of only 7%.

That is NOT a firewall test, it is a HIPS test, ZoneAlarm has No HIPS features therefore it will not do well on a HIPS test, but for network control, ZoneAlarm is one of the best.

Also be aware that there is a lot of controversial views about Matousec, many consider the testing methods are not accurate assumption on how well a solution will do against real world malware.

Many of Matousec tests involves methods not ever know to be used by any malware. Also their website whois is hidden behind Domains By Proxy services because nobody even knows who runs the tests or how accurate the results are. All of the other testing sites don't hide their whois info.

Also vendors have the option to pay more to get re-tested and get a higher score on their tests.
So they don't charge a flat testing rate like other testing sites. So if your product does bad, you can keep paying them more and eventually you can achieve a higher score.

I don't consider their tests valid. Search on Wilder's Security Forum about Matousec, you might be surprised what else you might find out about their testing methods and how they dropped testing Online Armor and others because they refused to pay more.

Thanks.:D

B

Brian

Thread author

Hi Littlebits,

Thanks for your input. I looked at several reviews and comments on ZoneAlarm Free 10 and they all look good. My knowledge on software firewalls is limited, so I'm glad that you shared your thoughts. I added ZoneAlarm.

Thanks again.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011

You forgot Spyshelter free off of the HIPS programs. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.