Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
And we've our results. The top 3 favorite software's of MT users are:

1. CCleaner
2. 7-zip
3. Sandboxie
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, we've poll to find out what's the favorite freeware software of MalwareTips members. From the
Best Free Software [Nomination thread] we've 10 of the most nominated software's in the poll here. Their websites are also linked to them for reference below.

You can Pick 3 among the 10 choices in the poll. This thread will close on Apr 30th 2016 and the winner will be declared on 1st May 2016. Let the game begin :D

1. 7-zip - File Archiver
  2. CCleaner - PC Optimization
  3. Everything - Desktop Search
  4. GeekUninstaller - Program Uninstaller
  5. MusicBee - Music Player/Manager
  6. Notepad++ - Code Editor
  7. PotPlayer - Video Player
  8. Sandboxie - Software Virtualization
  9. Sumatra PDF - PDF Reader
  10. qBittorrent - Torrent Client
I think they are all worthy contenders in the list, but I think EagleGet is missing here.

Additionally please visit this thread Best Free Software's For New PC and list any suggestions and give comments. :)

*****************Also please tell us why you like those software's you picked. It would help us to learn better about the product and come to a conclusion.********************

Last edited:

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
1. Notepad ++, because it marks up different code language, it's quicker to use than a full scaled IDE, has some handy advanced features and it's free.
I use it quite a lot both at home as at work, regular expressions makes my day a lot easier and are sometimes better than scripting a batch file for doing the job.
I also use code language markups for configuration files, makes them a lot easier to glance over to find a specific setting.

2. 7-zip, since it works with basically every packaged file, manages to do good compression and it's free.
Been using it for many years now, after some users complained over the package size another compression manager

3. Don't know which one to pick since I can live without either of them even if I use CCleaner and GeeekUninstaller, they are not perfect at what they do though, I always seem to find leftovers that they should have removed.

Last edited:
N

Noxx

Of the ones listed, I chose: Potplayer, Sumatra, and Geek Uninstaller. Potplayer is pretty much the lightest video player I've ever used, so yeah. Sumatra is simple and light as a feather, and while lacking some features, it's not adobe (too vulnerable nowadays). Geek Uninstaller (while I use REVO) is also very light, and far more thorough than built-in windows which leaves behind remnants.

Note: there are some options that I really like, but because I don't personally use them, I didn't vote for those options in the poll. As such, I have to make an honorable mention for: Sandboxie. The security value is vast, considering it has a free version.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
1. CCleaner
2. Sumatra PDF
3. 7Zip

Easily my choices, except PotPlayer looks pretty sweet... never tried it though. I use VLC =Video, + Winamp =music.

The rest, I either haven't tried or are matched in other freeware, Geek... could be replaced by Revo, Iobit and Advanced. The Geek Uninstaller has a nice clean UI, although they all uninstall the same way. Music Bee looks like a cluttered mess, but is it any good?

Much prefer CFW and sandbox over Sandboxie.

I heard qTorrent is better then others, but I don't use torrents and I dont even know what it is exactly. lol.

Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
1. 7-zip: It supports almost every compression format there is, it's free,light, not nagging, open-source and it works just great.
2. Geek Uninstaller: From all the uninstallers I've tried in the past, I always come back to GeekUninstaller. It's very small and portable and it just does what it has to do, nothing more. A very good program.
3. SumatraPDF: A very light PDF reader, if not the lightest. If you compare it to the resource eating Adobe Acrobat, Sumatrapdf is really a breath of fresh air.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Notepad++ - a good alternative notepad that can generally expands the overall outlook for any enthusiast user to create scripts within understandable format.

7-Zip- No biggy, the developer's history came within numerous ups and downs but the simple logic of file extractor is indeed powerful due to compression rate.

CCleaner- No.1 favorite cleaner program and even though some certain features tends to be unnecessary but remains to be strong on overall phase.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
I have voted for :
7-zip
Everything
3rd one was an open choice for me - so sumatra pdf

I like sandboxie but I consider it as a security soft, and if we would talk of completely free sandboxes why not cybergenic shade, or the ones tagged with firewalls, Avs. Ccleaner free edition again vs completely free Privazer, etc. MusicBee, Potplayer - overlap on audio section, Geekuninstaller and Ccleaner uninstaller overlap, so again did not vote.qBittorrent and editors would not be my first choices on a clean windows install.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I use only 5 of the 10 from the list, but I would not consider them the best Freeware of 2016. A lot of them have been available for many years -not to be off-topic- uBlock Origin would get my vote of 2016.

Last edited:

suma

Level 4
Verified
Feb 18, 2013
7zip- To encript the rar file with password and compress large file I used it most.

Sandboxie- To test unknown .exe file or brousing internet in safe environment without hassle.

Ccleaner- Clean junk file with high priority at free of cost.

Reactions: Alkajak and frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.