Advice Request Best Image Viewer?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Best Image Viewer?

• IrfanView

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Picasa

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • HoneyView

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • FastStone

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • XnViewMP

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Zoner Photo Studio

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Windows Photo Viewer

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • ImageGlass

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 14 16.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Have used Irfanview for years and have used all other listed as well for a sufficient amount of time. Irfanview has an advantage of lower RAM usage and since I always open up many pictures at once, it is the one I chose as the sole image viewer on my system. It also tends to be much faster than any other image viewer but does not have the modern look of most others - not a downside for me personally.

Windows Photo Viewer (Windows 10 only) will crash if I open as many images as I do in Irfanview. In Windows 7 there was a lack of ability to play gif files (this was possible in Windows XP - I'm unsure of Vista and 8).

Honeyview is very heavy on RAM (but in terms of customizations, speed, etc it is my favorite - ashame it's so heavy). My favorite feature was the easy ability to add keyboard/mouse controls to do practically anything one would like such as view previous, view next, random image, etc with either a mouse (left, right, middle, or scroll up or down), or keyboard (many more options but most would be fine with mouse only).

ImageGlass was the last one I've tried in order and while it is very good and modern looking, it too is a bit heavy and have noticed a few bugs here and there. Had a few individual process crashes even while not messing with it at all. It's open source which is always very nice.

Picasa is no longer supported however there is no reason why one can't still use it - it's just an image viewer, not a browser and while threats for practically everything exist, I doubt you'd come across one anytime soon. My brother favors this one and he only had good things to say about it.

XnView is another one I have a high opinion of for it's stability, customizations, speed, and generally low resource usage. Take note XnView has two products - XnView and XnView MP. I recommend XnView - XnView MP is a remake of it's classic version and I found it isn't as convenient in a few ways. I can not off the top of my head remember exactly what I disliked about it.

FastStone I have nothing negative or positive to say about it as I tried it years ago. I see now that they seem to have one that is simply an image viewer with none of the file management features (which is what I like) so will need to try that out very soon.

Zoner Photo Studio is a favorite of mine for is dark theme, tab support, and a combo of a photo manager/viewer. While I don't use it currently, I would recommend it as a FastStone alternative - or FastStone is an alternative for this.

olivia sophia

Oct 30, 2016
KrojamSoft PhotoViewerPro is great to view all images within a folder . You can organize and view/edit images. View images on a calendar etc.Try it out

Reactions: AtlBo

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I voted Faststone. I have used almost every image viewer & checked if they can work with my photographic needs. So far what i found that either use the default Windows program or Faststone.

I really like the Faststone Maxview - Fast, effective, basic editing, tons of features.
Only downside i can think of is its NOT freeware.

But for freeware, Faststone Image Viewer fills the needs perfectly.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Windows Photo Viewer is enough for the average user, it is simple, light, no bloats. Another option is the Windows Photo Gallery, another very simple app to organise your photos. This one should work in Windows 10.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I use Faststone, very fast and with good editing toolset, but I am quite impressed by Windows 10 default viewer app.
Fairly slow in opening, but excellent auto-fix photos tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.