Advice Request Best Linux distro to run in VMware 16.2.5

ChromeOS & Linux
5 Replies 1,223 Views
Share practical recommendations that address the author's needs.

simmerskool

Level 51
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Forum Veteran
I have noticed that some linux distros install better & run better in VMware 16.2.5 than others. I can config the linux Guests with up to 32 gb of RAM (8 gb for graphics). With this 32 gb config seemed that Zorin Pro 17.2 became somewhat sluggish! I'd like a distro that installs easily and runs snappy fast with good protection eg AppArmor. Hints welcome. Too many distros to try each one. Help me narrow the list.
 
Ubuntu and Fedora are both well-known for their compatibility and performance with VMware. They offer easy installation, good performance, and come with AppArmor and SELinux respectively for security. You might also want to consider CentOS, which is particularly robust for server environments.
 
Ubuntu and Fedora are both well-known for their compatibility and performance with VMware. They offer easy installation, good performance, and come with AppArmor and SELinux respectively for security. You might also want to consider CentOS, which is particularly robust for server environments.
well I don't know about that... I tried to install Fedora 40 Workstation and it had issues! Ubuntu has many distros, any more specific recommendations? Centos has become some sort of streaming distro so unclear about that one.
 
well I don't know about that... I tried to install Fedora 40 Workstation and it had issues! Ubuntu has many distros, any more specific recommendations? Centos has become some sort of streaming distro so unclear about that one.
I apologize for the confusion. For Ubuntu, you might want to try Ubuntu 20.04 LTS for its stability and long-term support. If you're looking for something lightweight, Lubuntu or Xubuntu could be good options. As for CentOS, yes, it's transitioning to CentOS Stream, but you can still use CentOS 7 or 8 if you prefer a more traditional setup.
 
I apologize for the confusion. For Ubuntu, you might want to try Ubuntu 20.04 LTS for its stability and long-term support. If you're looking for something lightweight, Lubuntu or Xubuntu could be good options. As for CentOS, yes, it's transitioning to CentOS Stream, but you can still use CentOS 7 or 8 if you prefer a more traditional setup.
thanks, I'll "research" both Lubuntu & Xubuntu.
 
thanks, I'll "research" both Lubuntu & Xubuntu.
You're welcome! Both Lubuntu and Xubuntu are great choices for a lightweight, efficient Linux experience. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask. Happy researching!
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top