Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxygen

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Linux Mint 17 MATE
May I ask what is the difference between all of these?

L4YJJeD.png

Reactions: omidomi

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Its like asking which Antivirus is the best. You will not get a definite answer.
Sites like distrowatch.com might help.
Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuse etc., are all good. Try each one and see which one you like.

Oxygen

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Its like asking which Antivirus is the best. You will not get a definite answer.
Sites like distrowatch.com might help.
Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuse etc., are all good. Try each one and see which one you like.
I'm asking because I'm going to test every suggestion I get.

Then I'll pick which is best.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
May I ask what is the difference between all of these?

L4YJJeD.png
Cinnamon, GNOME, MATE, KDE, XFCE, Unity etc., are desktop environments. Linux.org as such only creates the Linux kernels. Then there are different communities who create these desktop environments which interacts with the kernel and creates graphical UI. Watch some youtube videos on each of these desktop environments and you will see the difference. My personal favorites are Cinnamon and GNOME.

Reactions: vrb93 and Oxygen

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Most Linux distributions allow you to boot from disk without installing where you can test their basic features.
It would be the best way to choose a distribution since it is all based on user preferences.

Enjoy!! :D

D

Deleted member 178

as Littlebits said "a distro choice" is all about preferences , i personally downloaded dozen of distros as Live CD then tested each of them by making a Live USB, until i made a choice and install one of them. i started by Mint then switched to Kubuntu. i wanted using Manjaro Linux but it wasn't compatible with a dual-boot system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Littlebits

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
pre 2009, I have about 50+ distro CDs/DVDs I've tried out, some live some installed version. What you choose boils down to your own preferrence. Now it's easier to test if you know how to make a Linux bootable USB drive. Back then I prefer LM or PCL.

To date I've sticked to Puppy Linux because it's lightweight and fast to boot. I use this usually in repairing Windows or with manual malware removal.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Linux Mint is the easiest and simplest Distro for beginners

Cinnamon is the version I use, coz it's much more beautiful :)

Reactions: Deleted member 178

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I have used Ubuntu, Mint and many others, for the moment I am settled on Linux Lite 2.0! Awesome distro!

Alzie

Level 1
Verified
Well-known
May 3, 2014
i use linux lite wife uses linux mint both work well easy to use for most things linux lite works well on older computers

D

Deleted member 178

i am in love with Kubuntu, so many customization possibilities. it is heavier than other distros (because of KDE) but it run very well

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I dumped windows altogether about 8-9 months ago and ive never looked back.Im currently using linux mint 17 and it works just fine and im not having half the issues i had with windows.

Maybe you should evaluate what you use a computer for and then see which distro suits you as there is a treasure trove of them to choose from.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.