roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Productivity and Gaming: Windows
Media: Windows or macOS

For media production, I think both platforms are just as capable. If you're running the same software, the functionality will be pretty much the same between both. But some people will prefer platform specific software such as Final Cut, which is only available for macOS.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017

For media production, I think both platforms are just as capable. If you're running the same software, the functionality will be pretty much the same between both. But some people will prefer platform specific software such as Final Cut, which is only available for macOS.
But I here the the performance and stability in mac is much better than windows in media production? I am not sure I don't use mac but I heard that slot before .

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019

+1 Only in the Netherlands most people involved with media/graphic prefer Mac over Windows (with near religious conviction Mac is the best)

Chigwells

Level 4
Jan 16, 2012
Okay, I can add a bit here. as a self-taught geeky nerd, I used Mac up until 2000s and have been on Win since XP (7, 8.1, 10).
  1. Productivity = maybe dictated by your preferred software? Is it only available for Linux or maybe Mac? Not 100% sure what you mean by Productivity anyway, but I would have thought it's the least demanding of your three categories, and therefore I would have thought that all can handle competently. Potentially there are better software offerings in the Linux dept?
  2. Media Production = I do image manipulation, and have some insight into the industry. Professional preference is Mac (I believe thinks like color balance across machines within a studio setting is better handled by Mac), so if you have anything to do with professional production, you'll most likely need to be using the same or compatible software. To that extent Mac is the only option, but not necessarily because it's better for everyone, e.g. non-professionals.
  3. Gaming = no idea as don't do. Everyone I know who does gaming uses a pc.
I would also say that in my own experience and from others, Mac could be said to be overrated and overpriced. For the same $$, you get a better faster Win10 system. I've seen a Mac system and he was going on about how fast it was, and I was thinking how slow it was compared to mine. Reliability, well I'm a tinkerer and have always found win to be reliable (only used since XP). I'd love a new Mac Mini for photo retouching, but it's so expensive for what you get, and again I have no fears that Win10 is going to be buggy or crashy.

Chrome OS no idea but I could imagine you'd be limited by software availability??

Linux, I'm just dipping my toes in at the moment, and wondering how Photoshop will run on Wine. For digital imaging Linux doesn't use the tools I'm used to.

Just my two cents, hope it helps :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.