XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Zemana Anti Malware is what I voted for. Kaspesky and Appguard are useful tools nonetheless but Zemana with its cloud based and Pandora technology can detect and protect better then these and other anti malware products in most cases.
I partly disagree. :)

While I agree that Zemana and Kaspersky can detect malware, AppGuard provides better protection due to its containment or lock down of the system without detection. Anything that is not in the System-space is blocked or contained. Even some system-space applications cannot do anything malicious because they are also contained.

I voted AppGuard. But Kaspersky, except KAV, has a similar protection by way of TAM. If TAM was more exhaustive, I would vote for Kaspersky because of detection and lockdown.

I didn't vote for Shadow Defender because: 1.) I haven't used it yet, 2.) it might not be effective against loggers.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Man... Tough choices. All those are the ones im using it right now (Except Kaspersky) and all are equally strong in their own points. Headache.. Headache....

If it's best bang for buck, I'll go for Appguard. (If there's a 2nd place vote, SD).
Appguard never fails me being a solid anti-exe.

H

hjlbx

This one is a no-brainer...

1. Clean install OS
2. Clean install desired softs
3. Install AppGuard
4. Configure and enable Lock-Down mode

Maybe there is some sophisticated attack that can get your data with AppGuard installed, but it won't be from your physical system (as long as AppGuard is properly configured) -- it will likely be network vulnerability or phishing website.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Oh well anything that contains signatures as one of the frontrunner security products, is definitely a far edge compare to Appguard and virtualization of Shadow Defender that can change the test of security.

So for me I will rather pick Shadow Defender for safe keeping scenarios. ;)

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I partly disagree. :)

While I agree that Zemana and Kaspersky can detect malware, AppGuard provides better protection due to its containment or lock down of the system without detection. Anything that is not in the System-space is blocked or contained. Even some system-space applications cannot do anything malicious because they are also contained.

I voted AppGuard. But Kaspersky, except KAV, has a similar protection by way of TAM. If TAM was more exhaustive, I would vote for Kaspersky because of detection and lockdown.

I didn't vote for Shadow Defender because: 1.) I haven't used it yet, 2.) it might not be effective against loggers.

AppGuard as I have heard has good reputation but in the hands of novices like myself and others can be utterly confusing. :p If I were to use AppGuard could I still use my other security products without problems just in case something somehow gets passed AppGuard.
As you can tell I am a paranoid person. :D

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
AppGuard as I have heard has good reputation but in the hands of novices like myself and others can be utterly confusing. :p If I were to use AppGuard could I still use my other security products without problems just in case something somehow gets passed AppGuard.
Yes, you are correct. :D
AppGuard needs to be learned in order to use it properly. It is actually easy to learn. And if you know how it works, then you'll know how to handle it well.
But for impatient people, like my cousin in the house, there must be an AV to protect them. My cousin just wants to turn off AppGuard whenever he wants something executed. :D

But still, for me, AppGuard wins. But I consider Kaspersky products, except KAV, to be next in line of my choices due to its TAM.

H

hjlbx

There is a much greater likelihood that malware will get past an internet security suite than it will get past AppGuard.

However, you can use AppGuard with other security softs. Sometimes proper configuration is required to make them work together.

AppGuard is not that complicated. Once you learn what is needed, then it is "Set-and-Forget."

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Kaspersky Total Security has my vote, I use it for years (Kaspersky Pure before), and I am always satisfied

Last edited:
Reactions: Der.Reisende

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
There is a much greater likelihood that malware will get past an internet security suite than it will get past AppGuard.

However, you can use AppGuard with other security softs. Sometimes proper configuration is required to make them work together.

AppGuard is not that complicated. Once you learn what is needed, then it is "Set-and-Forget."

As much of a security nerd I like to be AppGuard will most likely hinder the use of me using MY pc. Usually I have to update software, find links or make a mirror of software for a friend, ect. AppGuard can be a very good source of protection for some both can be hinder the user at other times. Out of curiosity I wasn't able to find any articles on AppGuard being more secure. Not saying your wrong but I wanted to see some other reviews I guess on the product. :)

N

Noxx

I love my baby Zemana AntiMalware, but from this list, APPGUARD is exceptional and provides the most protection for the least hassle. ReHIPS would have probably been my vote if there was a stable release, however.

Reactions: Der.Reisende
H

hjlbx

As much of a security nerd I like to be AppGuard will most likely hinder the use of me using MY pc. Usually I have to update software, find links or make a mirror of software for a friend, ect. AppGuard can be a very good source of protection for some both can be hinder the user at other times. Out of curiosity I wasn't able to find any articles on AppGuard being more secure. Not saying your wrong but I wanted to see some other reviews I guess on the product. :)

Internet security suite is first dependent upon signatures whereas AppGuard is not dependent upon any signatures.

In Lock-Down mode, AppGuard blocks execution of all files in User Space whereas internet security suite will allow it (unless you modify the default settings - e.g. HIPS).

In some instances, you will find that the execution of malware can badly mess with internet security suites -- up to and including a complete bypass.

The best security is not to allow execution of unknown\untrusted\abusable files\processes in the first place.

Against the most sophisticated attacks - at the highest end of the spectrum (top 1 %) - it is extremely likely that no matter what you use -- even a tight multi-layered protection (including AppGuard) and all the network protection you could afford -- it will not protect your system\data -- period.

One reason is that the Windows OS itself has vulnerabilities itself -- and only Microsoft can fix those.

There is no such thing as an "impenetrable" fortress where IT security is concerned -- it is a fallacy. You cannot configure an impenetrable system and to think otherwise is to live in denial...

The best that any security soft can do is to minimize the risk of a system compromise = blocking\mitigating malicious actions in most, but not all, cases...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.