Battle Best program to protect folders for privacy

Hi Brothers

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2018
So, let's say I have a few folders on my pc with pictures and other personal stuff, or maybe something really important work-related that I wouldn't want any program whatsoever to be able to read, for privacy reasons, other than acronis for the daily backups or a specific program that I might use with those files, like a word editor for docs or an image editor for pictures.

What would be the best program to use for this purpose?

I know of a few that can do that - the in-built controlled folder access, which seems to let different apps access the protected folders randomly, this is part of the description from the security center: "Most of your apps will be allowed by Controlled folder access without adding them here (in the exclusions). Apps determined by Microsoft as friendly are always allowed." So this one doesn't really give me much hope.

The 2nd one is Secure Folders that has not been updated from years and is no longer being developed, but can still be downloaded from a few sources. I'm not sure exactly how effective is and whether or not it can be bypassed.

The third one I know is NVT's File System Protector, again no idea how good it is, I'm sure they can all do the job to a basic level, but I'm interested in the details. Has anyone used these programs before and/or has any experiences with them?

There are two ways to protect files inside folders. The first is to deny access without encryption and the other is password-protected encryption. With encryption you can encrypt at the file level all the way up to the drive level.

The easiest and most effective protection is simply to place sensitive files onto a USB flash drive inside of a password protected file vault - such as SanDisk offers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Brothers

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2018
There are two ways to protect files inside folders. The first is to deny access without encryption and the other is password-protected encryption. With encryption you can encrypt at the file level all the way up to the drive level.

Which of these ways is more effective?

Can't encryption be brute forced or bypassed? Like all those Ransomware Decryptor Tools I see on the internet, the hackers thought they were smart and encrypted our files, but it turns out they can be decrypted, with some ransomware at least, I don't want it to end up like that, with my files being decrypted. How can I make sure my encryption method is truely secure?

The easiest and most effective protection is simply to place sensitive files onto a USB flash drive inside of a password protected file vault - such as SanDisk offers.

I would imagine this won't come cheap, especially not for a lot of files, I'll skip on this one :LOL:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Which of these ways is more effective?

Can't encryption be brute forced or bypassed? Like all those Ransomware Decryptor Tools I see on the internet, the hackers thought they were smart and encrypted our files, but it turns out they can be decrypted, with some ransomware at least, I don't want it to end up like that, with my files being decrypted. How can I make sure my encryption method is truely secure?

I would imagine this won't come cheap, especially not for a lot of files, I'll skip on this one :LOL:
Decryption tools don't brute force crack the password or a decryption key. Some ransomware are made with holes in their mechanism allowing security companies to find a way to decrypt your files. If a ransomware is made properly, then the files it encrypted just cannot be recovered. That's the reason why there are no decryption tools for some ransomware.
My opinion is that no one should rely on locking important data in order to keep them safe. Unauthorized access maybe, but files properly locked from within the Windows, can be corrupted easily outside of Windows from RE or PE.

The only safe method to protect against a ransomware attack are backups on regular basis.

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
So, let's say I have a few folders on my pc with pictures and other personal stuff, or maybe something really important work-related that I wouldn't want any program whatsoever to be able to read, for privacy reasons, other than acronis for the daily backups or a specific program that I might use with those files, like a word editor for docs or an image editor for pictures.

What would be the best program to use for this purpose?

I know of a few that can do that - the in-built controlled folder access, which seems to let different apps access the protected folders randomly, this is part of the description from the security center: "Most of your apps will be allowed by Controlled folder access without adding them here (in the exclusions). Apps determined by Microsoft as friendly are always allowed." So this one doesn't really give me much hope.

The 2nd one is Secure Folders that has not been updated from years and is no longer being developed, but can still be downloaded from a few sources. I'm not sure exactly how effective is and whether or not it can be bypassed.

The third one I know is NVT's File System Protector, again no idea how good it is, I'm sure they can all do the job to a basic level, but I'm interested in the details. Has anyone used these programs before and/or has any experiences with them?
You could look at Pumpernickel (FIDES): Pumpernickel (FIDES) - Products | Excubits

No GUI, so you need to research the syntax. Bulletproof though.

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
I'm not afraid of ransomware, I've got backups and protection, I'm just paranoid about privacy and I don't want something to be able to have access to these files at all
Put all your personal data on an external drive, then encrypt it.
Problem solved.

On a serious note. Why don't you just simply use Limited User Account? Give access permission to the folder/files/whatever only to admin. That way, any software won't be able access it if they're not executed with elevated privilege.

Iapepe

Level 10
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
I use EncryptOnClick (Find - securely delete - undelete and encrypt Windows files with OnClick Utilities).
EncryptOnClick is like hiring your own highly experienced data security guard who ensures the files you want to keep safe and out of view from others, stay that way.

License: Freeware

Features:

• A very secure encryption method is also used (256-bit AES encryption).
• Files are both compressed & encrypted, which results in a smaller file.
• Password protected.
• Will encrypt single files or all files in a folder.
• Option to encrypt filenames (SecureZip compatible).
• Very simple to use interface.
• Can be used on a USB key.
• Fully Unicode enabled so filenames in any language can be encrypted.
• Files can be opened and decrypted using WinZip 9 and later provided the correct password is used.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
NVT File System Protector and thread on Wilders
File System Protector v1.0 - Lock Files\Folders, Deny Write Access to Files
Secure Folders is much more discussed and documented...here you have
Secure Folders to protect folders (and use as anti-executable)
Easy way to protect against crypto ransomware
Easy security for anti-exploit & anti-ransomware
Safe_Admin finally it is there
A syou can see SF can be used in wider range and it looks much convinient.
BTW - files/folders protection is available in SpyShelter and e.g. abit forgotten app - ThreatFire (unfortunately only for older systems).

PS
Encryption is as effective/strong as fast can you be during files operations (editing, saving, copying...whatever) on uncovered (unencrypted) localisations...in this case such areas are visible for ransomes and by this way just "accesible". :)

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096 and gin

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Encryption is something that is really needed to lock things down nice and good. Everything that I want to encrypt is put onto a flash drive that I also encrypt. Everything as far as encryption is AES at the minimum with large passwords that would take super computers years to crack. Needless to say, I would recommend putting files on external storage that is highly locked down.

Portecting files is key and keeping backups of those vital files that are also locked down is a good idea.

~Brian

For unauthorized access, a cheap SanDisk Cruzer USB flash drive with a file vault (16 GB @ $8 to 128 GB @ $27) provides more than sufficient privacy if it is used properly. The caveat is that you cannot keep that flash drive perpetually connected to your system; use it only when needed. This is where most users flake-out because of the "inconvenience" of having to connect\disconnect the flash drive.

Reactions: harlan4096

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I would agree with using Excubits Pumpernickel. There is a learning curve for sure, but you didn't need to encrypt so no issues there, Also you can do with with out removing drives and I agree with Paul. Bullet proof
+1 for Excubits products. Worth the effort.
If you don't have a lot of folders to protect, the free demo version should do the job for you.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.