Battle Best protection for ransoware Vodoshield + Shadow defender + Kapersky ?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Backup is only useful if your backup media is disconnected from the computer and the network. Most people will leave their cloud backup running, or their external hard disk or NAS connected, and then ransomware will encrypt the backup, too .

If someone got ransomed in the first place, chances are he is not the type who will remember to meticulously disconnect his backup media after every backup.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
It's not really that rare.
Depends of the user, obviously. Im not happy clicker and i really dont see myself to be in danger when im browsing same sites day by day

But i have friends whos watching anime/nhl from illegal streams and been infected by ransomware
Also i've it engineer friend wich torrented office and got into trouble that i had to help him with

Its hard to speak about others, when people post here i think mostly its their own opinion and they mirror themselfs

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It's not really that rare.
For home users, ransomware currently represents a relatively small percentage of malware attacks. It used to be much bigger, but now, virtual currency miners have taken front stage.

For experienced users who have a viable backup system, ransomware is really no more than an annoyance. And miners will be noticed immediately by any experienced user, because they drain system resources very noticeably. Then you just run a system image restore, and you're done. Same for adware attacks, although they might also require cleaning out the browser, or resetting it to default.

The only thing you really need to be concerned about is data stealers, especially the ones that steal login credentials. Because once your money or your private data is in the hands of criminals, it's pretty hard to get it back.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Making use of this ransomware thread to throw a question:

Will disabling vssadmin.exe help into avoiding ransomware deleting shadow copies?

Reactions: oldschool

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Have also tried both. Modules are exactly the same in both, they can just be tweaked a little more in KSC Free unlike in KFA.
Yeah I tried both. I was using KFA first and it was working well. I then tried KSC and it was running a little high on memory. With VS I really don't feel the need for the extra modules in KSC.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.