Best ransomware blocker based on zero day feedback

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Hello All,

Just a curious question I thought of asking today.

Which security suite withstood the ransomware attack in 2017 or has better results in withstanding ransomware attacks zero day? In need of buying a new AV. Thought this discussion might help me decide.

Perhaps there might already be a thread on this topic. If it is there pls point out to me.

Thanks.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hello @maaster , I recommend Zemana and Kaspersky, Emsisoft. Zemana uses innovative and powerful technologies to detect ransomware behaviour, but also zero day malware. ZAM 3.0 is now in beta and it will offer even bigger protection with AI method, a new file reputation method to detect zero day malware more efficiently, Smart Scan and more. Emsisoft and Kaspersky have also good behaviour blocking technologies to prevent ransomware infections.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Comodo Cloud AV
Comodo internet security
Comodo firewall

I vouch for comodo cloud av
- light
- no bloatware/ads
- set up default block mode & forget
- not buggy like cf/cis

Someone correct me that ransomware can be signed as trusted, and make it throught CCAV but thats very unlikely, and same thing can happen with any other av vendor aswell

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Are you buying a new AV? Kaspersky, BitDefender and Emsisoft are your best options - very powerful, tweakable products with built-in anti-executable solutions if you wish to use them top improve anti-ransomware protection.
You can also opt for free solutions, such as Comodo Firewall (make sure to check Cruelsister's setup) and Voodooshield. They are more complex but also very reliable.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Comodo Firewall(properly configured) and Kaspersky Free Antivirus. This combo will destroy any ransomware and malware you throw at it. But the best defence against ransomware is a proper backup stored at a location isolated from the main system.

kylprq

Level 4
Verified
Jul 26, 2018
just comodo with cs settigs + disable cloud lookup very lover usage of resources and you wanna antivirus go with kaspersky free or security cloud but no necessity for me

Reactions: bribon77

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Why not adding a Anti-Ransomware solution next to the AV of your choice?

I would recommend CheckMAL AppCheck AntiRansomware Free, it comes with Behavior Blocker, Auto-Backup (limited to preset), Remediation of affected files, MBR Protection.
Free and efficient against most ransomware.
Make sure to have a backup anyway in case a malware of a system / hardware failure cripples your system. Don't attach the external HDD to your running system unless performing / restoring from a backup, it will be targeted by malware otherwise.
Product Introduction - CheckMAL

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Someone correct me that ransomware can be signed as trusted, and make it throught CCAV but thats very unlikely, and same thing can happen with any other av vendor aswell
There's been a few instances of Comodo staff accidentally tagging malware as trusted in the past, but the chance of running into that specific malware sample is so low it simply isn't worth worrying about.
There's also malware using high-quality stolen certificates (ones that would bypass the TVL, unlike most signed malware which use low-quality certificates that wouldn't), but those aren't used against home users as they're far too expensive for most blackhats to get their hands on and a complete waste to use against insignificant peons such as us.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Comodo Cloud AV
Comodo internet security
Comodo firewall

I vouch for comodo cloud av
- light
- no bloatware/ads
- set up default block mode & forget
- not buggy like cf/cis

The last year i used for 7 months comodo cloud. After realy hard tests never i had one infection. For normal users is top the protection.

Reactions: Iapepe

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
The last year i used for 7 months comodo cloud. After realy hard tests never i had one infection. For normal users is top the protection.
Yep, im not happy clicker or download anything besides sw upgrades...its useless to have tons of security running on your pc so after all im just trusting to ccav only

And since the auto-sandbox is the magic, i would say that Comodo cloud AV with default block mode is more user friendly than cf + av/ cis ( unless you set up it as cs and never touch it again)

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Yep, im not happy clicker or download anything besides sw upgrades...its useless to have tons of security running on your pc so after all im just trusting to ccav only

And since the auto-sandbox is the magic, i would say that Comodo cloud AV with default block mode is more user friendly than cf + av/ cis ( unless you set up it as cs and never touch it again)
And is light. Very low ram. I like it very mutch

Reactions: Moonhorse

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Hi All,

From whatever responses I have got, all are based on detection rates. Which antivirus suite withstood the ransom ware attack of 2017? i.e.) When most failed which emerged victorious during that period?

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Hi All,

From whatever responses I have got, all are based on detection rates. Which antivirus suite withstood the ransom ware attack of 2017? i.e.) When most failed which emerged victorious during that period?
That doesn't have to work that way :) any good product, well tweaked and coupled with safe surfing habits, will protect you well from ransomware.

kylprq

Level 4
Verified
Jul 26, 2018
There's been a few instances of Comodo staff accidentally tagging malware as trusted in the past, but the chance of running into that specific malware sample is so low it simply isn't worth worrying about.
There's also malware using high-quality stolen certificates (ones that would bypass the TVL, unlike most signed malware which use low-quality certificates that wouldn't), but those aren't used against home users as they're far too expensive for most blackhats to get their hands on and a complete waste to use against insignificant peons such as us.

you can avoid this with disable cloud lookup cut off tvl and maybe disable trust signed apps but last one can be very annoying

ı remember cs said cf is elegantly coded or something like that and its really lower systems friendly

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.