Advice Request Best routers for security

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hello everybody, hope this quarantine got you well.

Would you recommend me a good router for security? Please avoid cheap garbage routers that I can buy on the store next door. I'm not looking for a router for strange advanced networking, I'm looking for a router that will give me SECURITY, a good secure network. This means a solid firewall to prevent attacks, DDOS, infiltrations, vulnerabilities.

Thanks.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Hello everybody, hope this quarantine got you well.

Would you recommend me a good router for security? Please avoid cheap garbage routers that I can buy on the store next door. I'm not looking for a router for strange advanced networking, I'm looking for a router that will give me SECURITY, a good secure network. This means a solid firewall to prevent attacks, DDOS, infiltrations, vulnerabilities.

Thanks.
Gryphon. Check out the thread: Here

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
What I understood from the system admin at the company I am working for parttime was:
1. Due to the OSI network layer topology adding anti-malware like technology to a router's firewall is architectural wise a lousy place to implement bit pattern based filtering of the packet's content passing through the router.
2. Partitioning devices into different logical networks based on device function and usage makes much more sense, because it limits the impact and exposure of clients to security breaches
3. AI/ML learning invasion and response monitoring will help to detect anomalies. In consumer world this type of monitoring is as good as the profiles assigned to the devices and granularity of the corresponding networks.

In short when you don't want to spend money on high end consumer router (like Gryphon) nor want to spend time on understanding the use and application of the different device profiles (of the Gryphon router), just buy a decent mid-range router and apply these tweaks.

That is why I use
- 2.4 Ghz wifi guest network for guests on ISP's modem/router
- 2.4 Ghz wifi network for IOT devices on ISP's modem/router
- 5 Ghz wifi network for our personal devices (laptop, smartphone) on second (mid-range specs) router

My NAS is connected to second 5Ghz Wifi network and has access control on device/user. Smartphones have only read access to backup data and are allowed to write (saved pictures) to NAS. With an offline USB disk (which we only update after holidays, so on average every six months) as backup of the backup.

Our ISP discourages setting their modem/router in bridge mode. In the past I used to contact help desk to ask them to okay setting router in bridge mode. Problem is that after every network upgrade, the ISP router is reset and I had to contact the helpdesk again. I discovered that disabling one of the frequencies did not require the router to be set in bridge mode (Lazy Lenny again :) )

Last edited:

joe_niara9

Dec 19, 2019
I think Tenda is best among of them all but the security is depending on antivirus or anti spyware performance. If you have good security guard than there are less chances of getting hacked. I always recommend ESET Internet Security is best among all that will protect your PC even you have normal router.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Sadly most of those capabilities really aren't readily available in most consumer routers. With some exceptions like Gryphon, most of those features are found on business grade hardware. One option to look into, especially if you have a older computer laying around would be to look into something like Pfsense, or Sophos XG firewall. Assuming you have a spare computer, both of these can be had for free and will surpass anything feature/capability/secuirty wise than any router that consumers can get.

Afaik, the Gryphon router isnt available everywhere, so if you want it, you may need to check if you can get it where you live.

Last edited by a moderator:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You can get try these brands

Fortinet
Netgate
Ubiquiti

but I doubt you can get WPA3 for now unlike those consumer routers in your store next door

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.