Troubleshoot Best way to erase all data off a HDD?

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
n/a
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
n/a
i have eraser and privazer but it still leaves remnents of stuff on the hdd is there a way to just flat out nuke the hell out of it and get rid of everything

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since everyone is mentioning ways to destroy your HDD, then you can use Muriatic Acid which will react to the metal components which witness the melt process. ;)

Remember, only geeks/enthusiast will be interest to gather your data as possible.

Reactions: Venustus
Upvote 0

David Johnson

Apr 21, 2017
The best way for erasing is the one which will be sustainable and doesn't hamper our environment. So being environment-pro, data erasing using software is the secure and best solution for me. It not only permanently delete my hard drive data but also remove internet traces and free up unused space. Till now used 3-4 data erasing software, most of them are already discussed above, apart from them Bitraser for file can also be tried (Not an Advertisement)

Upvote 0

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
As others have mentioned in this thread ....
Use DBAN and follow it up with physical destruction , if it makes you happy :)

The 3 pass deletion method should be fine .
Note : if you are running DBAN from a CD/DVD , be patient , it can be slow to boot .
( and take great care which drive you select ! )

You can forget about the Gutmann 35 pass method ....
even Peter Gutmann has said that it no longer matters with modern drives .

More on this here :-
Is the Gutmann Method a Good Way to Erase Data?

But for folks who are really serious about data destruction , this is a great read ,
and quite amusing in it's own way :-
Data Destruction Equipment like Datastroyer Shredders, Disintegrators, Office Disintegrators, and Multimedia Destruction Devices for High Security Data Destruction

Upvote 0

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
This thread reminds me this episode of Silicon Valley :D
Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 369
Reactions: caba and frogboy
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.