Advice Request Betternet free VPN

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Not tested but my friend have: I quoted his conclusion:
dude said:
I liked:
  • Free service is very usable and has no data limits
  • Premium service is cheap
  • P2P permitted (even on free service!)
  • Free browser add-ons are also available
  • No DNS leaks (but WebRTC leaks)
  • BBC iPlayer available
  • 5 simultaneous connections (Premium)
  • No usage logs, but…
I wasn’t so sure about

• Connection logs
  • Performance for both free and Premium services is uninspiring
  • Encryption is almost certainly meh
  • Pricing model worries me somewhat
  • US Netflix blocked
I hated
  • Customer support is effectively non-existent
  • Canada is terrible for privacy (but is probably ok for P2P for now)

• PROS
  • Free or very cheap
  • Permits P2P
  • No data limits
  • BBC iPlayer available
  • 5 Simultaneous connections
  • CONS
  • No customer support
  • Connection logs
  • Not fast
  • Canada is terrible for privacy

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I used Betternet for some time about a couple of years ago and speeds weren't terrible but it was very unreliable - disconnected every few minutes and I seem to recall it didn't have a killswitch so you may want to take precautions in that respect.

I don't know what sort of usage you want but if not too much then Windscribe's free 15gb a month might be sufficient.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Using the browser extension for a couple of days now. So far no ads or connection problems. Speed seems better than Zenmate too, which I used before.
Sadly only two servers in the free version, one in the US and one in the UK. I don't know if the desktop variant has more of them.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Would not trust this. I think that logging is a big privacy concern for this one! Plus the fact , stated earlier in this post that connections can be cut off is also a big nono. Better go for the free 50gb a month windscribe installer ( or extension ) or cyberghost free. Far better options. IMHO.

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.