Advice Request BetterPrivacy alternative ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Hello,

Since BetterPrivacy is not updated to the last version (Firefox), I wanna know if there is a good alternative. I tried Self-Destructing Cookies but I don't like it.

Add-ons I already use are: uBlock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
lol I use Better Privacy it's running fine in Pale Moon, I already use Ublock Origin and HTTPS everywhere I don't know what could I recommend you :CCC

Reactions: Sr. Normal
H

hjlbx

Hello,

Since BetterPrivacy is not updated to the last version (Firefox), I wanna know if there is a good alternative. I tried Self-Destructing Cookies but I don't like it.

You can look into JonDoFox Firefox profile; I am not sure if it blocks flash cookies.

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
If you really want privacy cancel your internet provider & your cell phone as well including your hard wired phone. Just move to a remote area with no utilities & be done with it. The NSA has your cell phone & your online data in its data base already. You are a bunch of crybabies IMO. Its a new World & get used to it.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
If you really want privacy cancel your internet provider & your cell phone as well including your hard wired phone. Just move to a remote area with no utilities & be done with it. The NSA has your cell phone & your online data in its data base already. You are a bunch of crybabies IMO. Its a new World & get used to it.

I disagree because I and probably more can ofcourse understand your point of view here marg but aren't your way too unfair? I mean everybody is ofcourse in title of there own opinion even you but what you mention in this thread more sounds like a pure rant then something constructive or even critical that actually can be interesting to read or discuss about sense after all this is a Securityforum and all news, information in general or also specfic topics concerning " Computer/IT Security " is what this place is all about.

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015

NSA = 3 letters
3 letters = 3 sizes
3 sizes = triangle
triangle shape = Illuminati
Illuminate confirmed. The New World Order are about to begin.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Hello,

1. Set Firefox to clear cookies on browser exit. (and maybe other local data if you'd like)
2. Use CCleaner every once in a while or similar cleaning software. (recommended: Set "Advanced Overwrite (3 passes)" as a Secure Deletion setting)

These are the steps I have taken to prevent any junk/tracker cookies from residing on my machine. From my tests, they have proven >99.9999% effective.

Now, the above methods are intended for cleaning the cookies. If you want to manage cookies, then I believe that the built-in Show Cookies... function in any Firefox variants is enough.
If you want something to actively block such cookies, you could try Ghostery. Alternatively, you can use the related uBlock Origin filter lists to block trackers, and as a result block their cookies as well.

I

illumination

Marg, you have a very valid point about privacy "although a little tact never hurts". I always associate going online as being the same as going out into public when trying to explain to users. One simply does not walk out their door into public and expect someone not to see them and what they are doing. Going online is the exact same thing.

Reactions: marg and upnorth

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Of course privacy can't be controlled now a days the way you want. But people can still use simple things to improve it a bit, why would you let all windows settings on default? Microsoft itself gives you some basic privacy settings, they won't help all the way but there they are; using them is no harm. Why would you use an AV at all? or any exe whitelisting software? Why would you bother not to share all your data with ADs companies or any other third party privacy lover junkware or malware outhere? it's just because The NSA has your cell phone & your online data in its data base already? or because you are a bunch of crybabies?

Last edited:
Reactions: upnorth

Kate_L

in memoriam
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Privacy is just a sweet dream. I always clean my Cookies and use Ad-Blocker and so on. Nowadays, there is no privacy and the NSA spying / Microsoft Spyware (Windows 10) is now something "normal". I will use "clean on exit option" from Firefox.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Privacy is just a sweet dream. I always clean my Cookies and use Ad-Blocker and so on. Nowadays, there is no privacy and the NSA spying / Microsoft Spyware (Windows 10) is now something "normal". I will use "clean on exit option" from Firefox.
About that spying, there are many things you can do in Windows 10 Home and Pro versions to give Microsoft a very hard time on getting a hold of your data. Check here: [GUIDE]How to disable data logging in W10 [Reddit]
I added the hostnames/IP addresses listed in this paste (Paste A1sv86VF - Paste2.org) in COMODO Firewall's Blocked Zones and they are effectively being blocked. You can also use something like PeerBlockp to block them.
That guide includes so many other steps you can take to reduce the amount of data Microsoft collects to nothing, or at least to only "more anonymous" statistical data. Check out these pastes as well:
Paste Hbm1awPm - Paste2.org
Block Windows by WindowsLies - github.com

Reactions: upnorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.