Beware fake Facebook emails saying "your page has been disabled"

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Facebook users need to be on their guard for bogus emails claiming to be from Facebook, that tell users their account has been disabled. The emails make use of the classic “apply some pressure” tactics so beloved of scammers everywhere. A missive that makes you shrug won’t get you clicking bogus links, but mails that say you've done something wrong, violated a rule, or at imminent risk of financial peril, are more likely to work. The mail reads as follows: "Recently, we discovered a breach of our Facebook Community Standards on your page. Your page has been disabled for violating Facebook Terms. If you believe the decision is incorrect, you can request a review and file an appeal at the link below." The Better Business Bureau says that some of these emails claim you need to take action within 24 hours or your account will be deleted permanently. This is the pressure hook at work. This will be more than enough to encourage folks to click the link to a bogus Facebook page. From there, site visitors will be asked for a range of personal details including but not limited to:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Has anyone noticed an increase in these kinds of scams lately? I wanted to save some money on something at Walgreen's the other day, so I punched in my dumb-phone number to get the discount.

Next thing I know I'm getting several text messages to go to this and such link to verify my Netflix and Amazon accounts, otherwise they will be blocked. 🥶 Clearly phishy. 🦟 🐠

I mean, these things have been around since the beginning of time; I'm just noticing they're increasing in frequency.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I have a separate email address for all my social media accounts only. I haven't logged into it in a long time. So if I receive any email regarding any social media accounts, I immediately know that it's a phishing mail. I have received such emails a couple of times about Facebook and Twitter.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Has anyone noticed an increase in these kinds of scams lately? I wanted to save some money on something at Walgreen's the other day, so I punched in my dumb-phone number to get the discount.

Next thing I know I'm getting several text messages to go to this and such link to verify my Netflix and Amazon accounts, otherwise they will be blocked. 🥶 Clearly phishy. 🦟 🐠

I mean, these things have been around since the beginning of time; I'm just noticing they're increasing in frequency.
I have noticed and they are improving their techniques, it used to be pretty easy to spot but not anymore.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Has anyone noticed an increase in these kinds of scams lately?
Over the past 3 or so months I have received about 50 of these in total:

Google documents account will be deleted unless updated
Coinbase account is missing infos or else it will be deleted
Crypto wallet needs to be updated or else it will be deleted
PayPal for Bitcoin Crypto invoice
Exodus Movement email with link to phishing page

That a front page is asking for the person to enter their wallet passphrase is absurd, yet people are falling for it and doing it...

more or less proves that the person sitting in front of the computer is a significant part of the problem

Untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.