Beyond the Headlines: Don’t be fooled by misleading security tests

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For customers looking for the best security technology for their needs, it’s critical to have access to reliable and meaningful information so they can make smart decisions to stay protected in today’s complex threat landscape. As an industry, we face a challenge in that testing security products is a highly technical and time-consuming process, and there are shortcomings in the approach of some tests that result in data that is misleading at best.

Read more from Norton Blog

D

Deleted member 178

i smile, Norton took an analogy i described long time ago :D

btw, i am agree with them for once ^^

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Here is another article.

Symantec Declares On-Demand Antivirus Tests "Misleading"

My question is, Symantec pulled out of AV-C's tests. (Stopped paying them) So why is AV-C still testing them?

I agree with Symantec's concern as well Umbra. Malware tests (especially detection) are about as far from a real-world test as you can get. Which is why I completely disregard them. ;)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
All AV tests are misleading and so are user reviews since they use bad samples.

Thanks.:D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.