Troubleshoot BIOS Frozen and Unresponsive

RiguyX

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 30, 2016
First of all, sorry if this belongs in Software Help instead. I wasn't quite sure where to put this one.

Two days ago, I attempted to install Ubuntu 17.04 on my Windows 10 custom PC. The Ubuntu install screen didn't appear; instead, there were green and purple lines and random characters. I decided to leave the computer on overnight, and in the morning, I restarted it. This caused the computer to freeze on the BIOS setup screen.

My PC's build is:
Monitor - Acer G226HQL 1080P
CPU - ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1
RAM - 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance
GPU - NVidia GTX 970
Disc - Samsung 250GB SSD
Power/Cooling - Thermaltake SMART 750W

I was able to access the BIOS setup at one point, but I reset it to default settings and it continued to act as it had before. I've tried removing one stick of RAM and will try unplugging the SSD if it is necessary. (It's hard to access the cables there, and I don't want to take apart my computer more than I have to.)

EDIT: I've also tried to flash the BIOS via a USB (formatted FAT16) with a BIOS update downloaded from ASUS support. The computer did not boot to the USB.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have this problem with my BIOS, too. It is probably a problem with the BIOS chip.
Try this:
1 before going to sleep at night, power down the PC, disconnect the power cord, and press the power button for five seconds (to drain all electricity)
2 next morning, try booting into bios. and when it gets stuck, go eat breakfast.
3 come back, click on the bios menu you want, then go take a shower while it loads
4 keep taking breaks after every stage, until bios loads the next step.
5 after you set up your BIOS, be aware that at some random point in the future it might revert to default settings.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I've solved the problem! It turns out the hard drive has problems. I've formatted it, and my PC should be fixed in a moment. Thanks for the advice, everyone!
Glad to hear you are solving your hard drive problems, but it still does not explain why BIOS was getting stuck. BIOS starts up before the hard drive. Even if you have no hard drive at all, the BIOS should still work.

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Glad to hear you are solving your hard drive problems, but it still does not explain why BIOS was getting stuck. BIOS starts up before the hard drive. Even if you have no hard drive at all, the BIOS should still work.
Bad sectors that cause quick SMART test to fail.
@RiguyX Check your HDD using HD Sentinel. Try SMART's Quick Test if it fails you have bad drive and replace it ASAP.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.