Crypto Opinions & News Bitcoin : Why is The Largest Cryptocurrency Crashing?

Disclaimer: Any information contained on this forum is provided as general market commentary, and does not constitute investment, financial, trading or other sort of advice.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
the past 24 hours have been catastrophic for the grande dame of cryptocurrency - even by Bitcoin standards. I'm going to concentrate on Bitcoin here - but if you're a crypto follower, you'll know the whole market is troubled, to put it mildly.

As I write this, Bitcoin is trading at $21, 974 (£18,000). It's fallen 25% in the past five days alone, to its lowest value in 18 months. Its peak of almost $70,000, in November, feels a lifetime ago. The charts are all red and they're going in one direction - downwards.
2022-06-15-10-15-43.jpg

Experts say this is because of the wider global climate. It's not just in the crypto world things are not looking good. Recession looms, inflation is soaring, interest rates are rising and living costs are biting. Stock markets are wobbling too, with the US S&P 500 now in a bear market (down 20% from its recent high). As a result, even the big investors are less free with their money. And many ordinary investors - not rich hedge-fund owners or corporations but people like you and me - have less to invest in anything, full stop. For many, an investment in something as volatile and unpredictable as cryptocurrency feels like a risk too great in these times. It's unregulated and unprotected by the financial authorities, so if you're using your savings to invest in it and it loses value, or you lose access to your crypto wallet, your money has gone.
the past 24 hours saw these developments :
  1. Binance, the largest global crypto exchange (basically a platform for trading cryptocurrencies), paused all Bitcoin withdrawals for a few hours. It said this was due to a "stuck transaction" - although, not everybody believed it
  2. The crypto lender Celsius did the same - but it cited "extreme market conditions" rather than technical difficulties. And now, the Coinbase exchange has just announced it is laying off 18% of its workforce, blaming, in part, the "crypto winter"
  3. Spooked investors started selling off even more Bitcoin
The first two caused panic. Imagine if you suddenly couldn't withdraw cash from your bank, or you heard other people couldn't. You'd be at the nearest cash machine, along with everybody else, in record time, and this in itself would create more upheaval and more panic.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Never thought I would come across Celsus name again so soon. There's been some videos up in yt in regards to celsus and some sort of shady practices.

I wonder how much more will people loose. Not long ago terra which caused many to basically loose a lot of their savings.

Along with this there's other sections in the crypto space going down... NFTs going down, constant rug pulls on NFT projects which jeopardize legit projects, and the list goes on.

A good read for stuff like that I recommend the blog web3isgoinggreat

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.