.Sam.

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 9, 2011
In terms of:
@Protection
@Slow downs
@Boot time

I'm currently using Comodo IS 5.12 on Win 8. I liked it because it doesn't slow down the computer, there's some reviews prove that bitdefender 2013 doesn't slow down computers.

So, which is better? :)

D

Deleted member 178

the discussion is biased, because :

- BD has power from its AV
- Comodo has power from its HIPS & Sandbox

you can't compare dogs and cats

then enter the user's knowledge

- with BD, no advanced knowledge is needed to get its full power.
- with CIS, a good knowledge of the system is required to gain almost 99.9% bullet proof (i dont say 100% because of some CIS' weaknesses)

So :

if i am an advanced user : CIS is better cause i know what to block/allow for every popups done by CIS
if i am common/intermediate user : BD is better , since it does the job for me

N

Nige_40

Umbra Corp. said:

- with CIS, a good knowledge of the system is required to gain almost 99.9% bullet proof (i dont say 100% because of some CIS' weaknesses)

So :

if i am an advanced user : CIS is better cause i know what to block/allow for every popups done by CIS

I agree with you Umbra.

It's down what Knowledge you have on Security systems for your PC.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:

So :

yes this is by far the best reply in this topic if you like to install and forget bitdefender is for you,but if you are a technie or advanced user comodo is just the security suite you want :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Comodo is better for paranoid security geeks, BitDefender is better for about 98% of the remaining users.

HIPS won't need to block anything unless you are doing something you shouldn't be doing in the first place. Malware doesn't automatically download and install anymore and hasn't for about 8 years thanks to secure browsers. If your HIPS is blocking something bad then you had to manually do something to cause it like download a malicious file (which advanced users should know better than to do). Of coarse most of the time HIPS just blocks harmless processes needed by yourself or your system.

So just because a product has HIPS, it doesn't make it better than a product that doesn't have it. Most users don't need HIPS. It is very hard for novice users to understand and use correctly, is not needed at all by advanced users because they already know what to do to avoid malware.
That just leaves paranoid security geeks who like to play around with it.

Thanks.:D

GabiCRX

Level 8
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
I think both suites are good in their own way !
BD with his AV and Comodo with his HIPS and sandbox, but the bigger problem is the user, if he does not gain more knoledge, malware and hackers will "own him", because security companies will be overwhelmed by new mallware and they all will have to implement 0-day technology, and that's a big problem for begginers !

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Bitdefender and Comodo as already pointed have different approaches. I am using Bitdefender and I will recommend it for the following reasons
1- Great antiphishing and web protection
2- Browser independent web protection (Take a not comodo lacks web scanning)
3- Small updates and latest definitions given by cloud.
4- Easy to use. (Just dont set IDS to high)
5- For geeks, set IDS ie Intrusion Detection System to high and catches almost all of the sneakies.
6- Autopilot takes most decisions automatically.
7- Smart firewall. Blocks the bad, allows the good and AVC ie Active Virus Sheild keeps an eye on unknowns. Similar to restrictions imposed by Kaspersky Firewall.
8- No performance impact.
9- Very few FPs by Active Virus Sheild
10- Great support via live chat.
11. Encrypts communications on unsecured Wifi. Encrypts chats.
Cons:- Paid(not exactly a con), full fledged sandbox is lacking. But sandboxie and buffer zone are there so no worries.
Another major problem is that Bitdefender does not play well with other security products.
You decide now. The only suites I would pay for are Norton and Bitdefender.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not exactly biased. Both have an AV, Firewall, IDS or BB, a Sandbox.

Edit: By IDS or BB, I mean ProActive protection against new or unknown threats.

Bitdefender may have social protection with Safego, but of course it's optional and you don't have to be a paying BD customer to use that service.

Umbra Corp. said:

D

Deleted member 178

HIPS play in another category, it can't really be compared to a BB but only to another HIPS.

BB = allow/block everything that has a suspicious behavior, then ask you if it can't decide.
HIPS = ask to allow/block everything that is not whitelisted.

this small difference change all the cards.

For example, it is why when you set an Comodo D+ with "Paranoid Mode" and delete its Trusted vendor List, you will succumb to a shower of popups, but you will have 100% protection (in theory, i don't count weaknesses or malwares designed to bypass it) since D+ will ask for every process (legit or not ) trying to run.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I wasn't comparing HIPS to BB, but they both can be used to prevent unknown threats, in some aspects. So in all fairness, both have ProActive protection against new or unknown threats.

I don't see why you think Bitdefender and Comodo is a biased discussion. :rolleyes:

Edited

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
I'm looking forward to Comodo 6 but history tell us it will not be a smooth sailing particularly bugs takes too long to be fixed. Till now they don't even have a dedicated uninstaller of their own.. nuff said.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
bitbizket said:
I'm looking forward to Comodo 6 but history tell us it will not be a smooth sailing particularly bugs takes too long to be fixed. Till now they don't even have a dedicated uninstaller of their own.. nuff said.

That is the one of most disadvantages of installing Comodo, it leaves behind a ton of junk when uninstalled with their uninstaller which continues to cause problem after removal like boot drivers that can not be removed with normal uninstall methods. Of coarse one of the Comodo forum members made an uninstall tool, but since it wasn't made by Comodo themselves, they hold no responsibility if it causes system problems. Almost all security software vendors offer a removal tool which they support. It can be very bad for a first time Comodo user who has to uninstall the product because it gets corrupted, problems caused by user errors, bugs or it is too complicated for them to use effectively. A dedicated removal tool supported by Comodo should be on Comodo's most wanted list.

I have manually pulled Comodo out by the roots several times in the past because of problems it caused. One of the main reasons I won't install it to my system again even just to try it.

D

Deleted member 178

Earth said:
I wasn't comparing HIPS to BB, but they both can be used to prevent unknown threats, in some aspects. So in all fairness, both have ProActive protection against new or unknown threats.

i know Earth, but i understand you point of view, by comparing via their proactive features in a wider scope. ;)

I don't see why you think Bitdefender and Comodo is a biased discussion. :rolleyes:

In my opinion, we can't compare HIPS with other proactive system, because if properly used, any HIPS will mostly perform better than an AV engine or a BB.

If the thread was NIS vs BD (AV + BB), KIS vs CIS (AV + HIPS), ESET SS vs Emsi pack (AV + HIPS) ; i will not say it is biased.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's the product on the whole, not the individual components.

If you voted, you're points of view are invalid. Thanks. Bye.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
Littlebits said:
bitbizket said:

That is the one of most disadvantages of installing Comodo, it leaves behind a ton of junk when uninstalled with their uninstaller which continues to cause problem after removal like boot drivers that can not be removed with normal uninstall methods. Of coarse one of the Comodo forum members made an uninstall tool, but since it wasn't made by Comodo themselves, they hold no responsibility if it causes system problems. Almost all security software vendors offer a removal tool which they support. It can be very bad for a first time Comodo user who has to uninstall the product because it gets corrupted, problems caused by user errors, bugs or it is too complicated for them to use effectively. A dedicated removal tool supported by Comodo should be on Comodo's most wanted list.

I have manually pulled Comodo out by the roots several times in the past because of problems it caused. One of the main reasons I won't install it to my system again even just to try it.

Yes you seems to read my mind there.

That is only part of the problem you mention about the uninstaller. Another major issue, it may seems to uninstall and install (update) new version just fine but underneath it causes dis-functional stability within the program.

Once a clean install is done those issues are gone. This includes repeated prompts, forgotten rules made, firewall instability, repeated asking of new update even though you have the latest version and much more. I'm not really sure if these instability will weakened the product effectiveness but i don't feels safe in using it.

There is a better way to removed corrupt uninstallation without getting your hands dirty.

Rerun the CIS installer. After extraction process it will says that you already have Comodo installed. Terminate it.
Go to C:\ProgramData\Comodo\Installer.
Find the MSI and run it.. browse the location of the MSI and it will than give you the option to uninstall it.
Used the batch uninstaller from Comodo website to do further cleaning if possible.
Run CCleaner. There will be some Comodo folder/files left about which can be deleted safely.

This removal steps is helpful if you want to install fussy software like Kaspersky, GFI, BullGuard or Bitdefender.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
Earth said:
It's the product on the whole, not the individual components.

If you voted, you're points of view are invalid. Thanks. Bye.

I have not voted either of them because of my past bad experienced.
If i would to comment on my bad experience than it will seems like i'm bashing.
If i would says good things about them than i am dishonest to myself.

I have not try Bitdefender 2013, there's nothing much change as far i can tell. Maybe it is more stable now because you seems to like it.
It has very good engine (second best to Panda in my opinion). That's the only plus i can tell.
Comodo says something about the future of being revolutionized but what i see is just a copy cat of another products.
Who cares, it's free that the major plus, plus. lol. :p

PS: HIPS based product can be a pain to untrained eyes so much a BB based is better for the majority.

:D

malware medic

Oct 6, 2012
I think comodo is the best. The boot time slow down is pretty much the same if not better than bitdefender. Neither of them is that heavy. Bit defender is a little more heavy according to windows task manager. Comodo internet security suites cost less and have a boatload of features. Comodo has their expert live virus removal. Comodo internet security complete is a one time charge of 39.99.Comodo gives you a 500 dollar warranty. Comodo wins. enough said.

malware medic

Oct 6, 2012
I think comodo internet security is the best. The complete version is a one time charge of $39.99. It has a boat load of features plus a $500 virus guarentee
Avast is not really that good
Here are some awesome links
http://www.westcoastlabs.com/realTimeTesting/article/?articleID=1
http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.