App Review Bitdefender 2019 Beta Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Justiin Sayep

Oct 4, 2018
A consumers mini-report of issues with Bitdefender Internet Security 2019:

Recently "upgraded" from 2018 Internet Security to 2019. Obviously Bitdefender's right hand doesn't know what its left hand is doing. I'm registered with Bitdefender online, but still keep getting emails stating that my 2018 subscription has expired - not a big deal, but very annoying.

BD IS 2019 causes constant read/write activity on our USB SSD backup drives (one backup is just some specific program data, the other is a mirror of an entire drive). We can not get a clean 'stop' and remove the drives because they get locked by Bitdefender (specifically 'vsserv.exe').

- We have inactivated "Scan USB devices" to no effect.
- We have added the drive letter assigned to the USB SSD backup drives to Bitdefender Shield Exceptions to no effect.
- We have turned off Bitdefender Shield, then attached the USB drive, but the SSD drive still gets locked by Bitdefender with constant read/write activity.

The only way to remove the SSD after the backup programs have run is to ignore the read/write activity and just unplug. Not the best option, so we downloaded the program 'USB Safely Remove' and use it to force a stop of Bitdefender on the USB SSD drive. We have to do this everytime we use the USB backup drives.
('USB Safely Remove' is the program we used to identify that vsserv.exe was locking the drive, as Windows 8.1 does not have an equivalent method of identifying what is locking a USB drive)

We sent an bug report to Bitdefender two weeks ago, no response (surprise!).

We did not have this problem with BD IS 2018.
Based on previous experience (BD 2017, 2018), we have turned off BD firewall and use the Windows firewall. BD Firewall caused errors when attempting to share one drive between two computers on our home network. No problems using the WIndows firewall ...

I personally find the GUI to be simplistic and sophomoric, but other than adjusting settings, I don't have to deal with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al-Faqir

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.