App Review Bitdefender 2020 Beta Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

lThinkFreel

Level 2
Jun 24, 2019
Bitdefender always will be worst Antivirus because of so high usage on RAM, he is like a twin of AVG.
unused ram is wasted ram. The ram usage have nothing todo with a product being fast or slow on your computer. In fact, ram is the fastest component on your pc. If one antivirus consum much ram, that doenst mean its bad. Like Emsisoft, they use much ram, but they store for example the virus defs and other things there, because its simply faster. Its more like bitdefender is "bad" because it is buggy as hell on many machines, slows down your browsing and other things. But ram have nothing todo with it.

F

ForgottenSeer 67480

unused ram is wasted ram. The ram usage have nothing todo with a product being fast or slow on your computer. In fact, ram is the fastest component on your pc. If one antivirus consum much ram, that doenst mean its bad. Like Emsisoft, they use much ram, but they store for example the virus defs and other things there, because its simply faster. Its more like bitdefender is "bad" because it is buggy as hell on many machines, slows down your browsing and other things. But ram have nothing todo with it.
That's why for me Emsisoft is better choice than Bitdefender cuz Emsisoft is cheaper and less buggy

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015

Agree. Ram is cheap. There is much more that goes into an AV slowing down a PC, such as CPU!, HD usage. I'm sure much smarter people will chime in, but it is time to end this...RAM thing...

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Bitdefenders engine works, as can easy be seen and followed through the VT links in the Malware Hub. But personal I would rather test the AV version instead of the massive suites.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I honestly see your comments guys as trash talking about BitDefender. How many of you have actually tried it reciently? (one year or less)

I've tested it on my host machine, for over two months. It didn't slow up my machine, at all. It had a little bug of incompatibility, but nothing serious, no BSODs, no slowdown or related. Scans were fast, definitions were amazing, FPs weren't many, boot time was okay (better than WD and Kaspersky). I just didn't like as much the GUI and the fact that tweaking isn't that advanced. But it worked. And it worked right. I'd definitely use it as my main AV when the time comes and my licenses expire.

As for malware protection, the behaviour blocker or similar I couldn't test as much since signatures were added amazingly fast. On my quick tests on VM most malware were covered up on default settings. I beg you Hub Testers to give a try to BTS latest stable version and share the results. Tweak it a bit.

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Bitdefender has been a perennial top 3 AV in terms of detection.

They consistently innovate to stay at the very top of most tests - for over a decade.

It's been a few years since I tried it... but yeah, at that time.. it was a little buggy for me..

But apparently it works fine for many.

If you are one of those who it works for well, you have really good protection.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
I honestly see your comments guys as trash talking about BitDefender. How many of you have actually tried it reciently? (one year or less)

I've tested it on my host machine, for over two months. It didn't slow up my machine, at all. It had a little bug of incompatibility, but nothing serious, no BSODs, no slowdown or related. Scans were fast, definitions were amazing, FPs weren't many, boot time was okay (better than WD and Kaspersky). I just didn't like as much the GUI and the fact that tweaking isn't that advanced. But it worked. And it worked right. I'd definitely use it as my main AV when the time comes and my licenses expire.

As for malware protection, the behaviour blocker or similar I couldn't test as much since signatures were added amazingly fast. On my quick tests on VM most malware were covered up on default settings. I beg you Hub Testers to give a try to BTS latest stable version and share the results. Tweak it a bit.
Been testing out BD TS regularly. Signatures are fine .ATC is alone extremely powerful even if rest of modules were disabled !
Slight bugs here and there, but as far protection matters BD rocks and automated ! ATC alone is Slight weaker against some MBR based ransomwares

https://malwaretips.com/threads/malware-samples-14-9-07-2019.93645/

https://malwaretips.com/threads/mixed-threats-17-01-07-2019.93492/

https://malwaretips.com/threads/malware-samples-16-2-07-2019.93514/

Previous tests :

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Whenever, wherever I see anyone talking about Bitdefender they talk about everything except a problem that's being annoying me for years.
Have you never faced this problem while using/testing the product? It's a deal breaker for me. Check this: Bitdefender folder option problem, Another one, Another similar post
First reported by someone in 2011, I personally noticed in 2013 probably. I asked them twice about fixing it but they replied they can't fix this because that's how their disinfection method works. Btw, of those two replies one they answered me 8 months after asking and the other one more than a year later. How nice of them! They're so funny.
I installed the 2019 version few months ago to check if they've fixed it. But no still the same so I uninstalled it after 10 minutes. Trend Micro had the exact problem too not sure if they fixed it ( I might check it out today).
So, unless they do something about it, I can't personally use their product nor I can recommend to anyone.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018

In terms of protection BD is one of the best no doubt. But the program behaves differently in different computers and most of the computers I found have problems where it is installed. The program is buggy that's for sure. If it works on PC A without any problems, you'll have one hell of a protection. But if it doesn't, it'll cause you a lot of headaches. I agree about the RAM part. In today's world, an AV eating 250-500 MB RAM is not that bad unless it thrashes CPU and HDD. Previously when I tried BD a couple of years back it slowed down my browsing tremendously and the firewall was of no use since each and every program bypassed it. Now I've tried the 180 days trial of version 2019. The HTTPS scanning and the firewall problems have been solved. ATP is top notch, although it is prone to false positives since it quarantined syshardener while I was applying the tweaks. Bottom line is if BD works for you it's a superb suite but if it doesn't it'll be BugDefender for you.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.