Bitdefender 60-Second Virus Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

donotcrack

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 14, 2011
Bitdefender 60-Second Virus Scanner is a free and easy-to-use PC desktop app that utilizes the world's #1 ranked scanning technology to alert users of active viruses that are lurking on their computers
Source link

P

Plexx

I wonder what happens if it does detect threats. Will it removed or point the user for BD products download/usage?

If it does remove on its own, then I wonder its removal capabilities.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Interesting share!

+1 for Great advertising
-1 for Actual use

Edited: Re-uploaded image.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 719
  • 3.png
    3.png
    96 KB · Views: 624
  • 4.png
    4.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 693
  • 5.png
    5.png
    16 KB · Views: 605
  • 2.png
    2.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 738
P

Plexx

And Earth answers my question on the issue of infections found.

Thanks Earth

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
It is just advertising junk. Doesn't even give you accurate results.

It said my Avast was out of date, Windows Updates was disabled and my firewall was disabled which was all false. At least it didn't find any false positives. I believe this is the third advertising scanner by BitDefender.
They have QuickScan browser extensions and another scanner I can remember the name.

I wished they would stop putting out these junk scanners which will not do anything but give you fake results.

Thanks.:D

snapfiles

Dec 4, 2012
Biozfear said:
I wonder what happens if it does detect threats. Will it removed or point the user for BD products download/usage?

If it does remove on its own, then I wonder its removal capabilities.

60 second scanner does NOT remove infections. If it finds something you will be prompted to download the full Bitdefender antivirus software.
Also, the scan does not really take 60 seconds, more like 2 minutes in our tests.
For these reasons, we did not list it on Snapfiles.

P

Plexx

False advertisement in order to monopolize the market share.

Ain't the first vendor doing this type of thing mind you.

They already make money off other vendors by releasing their signatures to them. No need really to do such thing. It will just get more people angry, not to mention that their 2013 lineup ain't retaining a lot of customers, despite their recent sales and low price sales of their 2013 product lines.

Wan't to keep the consumer happy, offer what you can without false advertisement.

amvlad

Level 1
Aug 3, 2011
Biozfear said:
False advertisement in order to monopolize the market share.

Ain't the first vendor doing this type of thing mind you.

They already make money off other vendors by releasing their signatures to them. No need really to do such thing. It will just get more people angry, not to mention that their 2013 lineup ain't retaining a lot of customers, despite their recent sales and low price sales of their 2013 product lines.

Wan't to keep the consumer happy, offer what you can without false advertisement.

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear your poor opinion about us. Considering the fact we've been rated the #1 Antivirus in the last 2 years by all the major independent AV tests (AV Test, AV Comparatives etc.) we took the decision to release this small tool just to bring a second opinion on the state of the PC.

We did NOT advertise anywhere that the tool removes infections. To remove the detected infections that have not been detected by your installed security product, you can use the FREE trial from the classic line.

Think about this tool as a classic online scan tool with some improvements: local installation, cloud technology, proactive detection.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback.

/Alin Vlad
Global Social Media Coordinator at Bitdefender

P

Plexx

Maybe I did not use the correct words and perhaps False advertisement is not the correct word of using and for that my apologies.

Virus scanner, by default implies removal capabilities. Reason it implies removal capabilities is because most online scanners have such feature.

If you developed a tool to scan to then push the user to use BD antivirus and other variations for removal, you might want to consider adding a footnote somewhere in the website.

As you can see in my first post in this thread, that was the very first question I asked because I could not find any reference in the website.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 178

i tested it on my system, and it says i don't have any AVs... even Emsisoft AM and Webroot were installed and up to date...this kind of software remind me Norton , it did the same, to me it is more like a "legal" scareware.

amvlad said:
We're sorry to hear your poor opinion about us. Considering the fact we've been rated the #1 Antivirus in the last 2 years by all the major independent AV tests (AV Test, AV Comparatives etc.) we took the decision to release this small tool just to bring a second opinion on the state of the PC.

/Alin Vlad

no offense, but test labs means nothing to me, i know that BD engine is very effective lately (one reason i keep Emsisoft AM), i congratulate you for this big evolution, i used Bit Defender 2008 and 2009 and it was different , but this kind of arguments will not have any influence on awared users like Biozfear, Littlebits or me.

Bit Defender should just keep doing the excellent job they do actually (Bit defender, Trafficlight, etc...) and not loose time on this kind of non-accurate tools.

Anyway thanks to reply to us and give feedbacks, few vendors do it, we appreciate that.

maaster

Level 1
Aug 5, 2012
amvlad said:
Hi there,

We did NOT advertise anywhere that the tool removes infections. To remove the detected infections that have not been detected by your installed security product, you can use the FREE trial from the classic line.

Think about this tool as a classic online scan tool with some improvements: local installation, cloud technology, proactive detection.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback.

/Alin Vlad

Instead of a few areas scan you could have kept complete full scan of computer without removing infection..that might be helpful...

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
And it would be really great if we get off our high moral ground [armchair], stop dissing at AV vendors at will, respect them for what they're doing, because let's face it - these guys made a conscious choice to be working in the PC security industry to provide us with protection, right?

Would be productive if we can be more moderate and tolerant, instead we're coming across as militant, opinionated and aggressive. What happened to the level-headed, non-offensive and constructive discussion?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
D Bone said:
Far and away the least productive scanner I have ever used.

Indeed,however I don't think Bitdefender meant this product to be used only as a on-demand scanner like for example Emsisoft 1 minute scanner is.
It's important to understand that the name that Bitdefender used "60 seconds virus scanner" is a bit confusing as after you'll install this product on your machine, it will start with Windows and run 2 background process.
[attachment=2826] [attachment=2829]
It really looks like Bitdefender 60-Second Virus Scanner was meant to be used as a secondary layer of protection.If so the question is if this product it's compatible with the less known security solutions?

Anyway I've run a scan on my junk PC with KIS 2013 installed and to Bitdefender credits it did not find any issue.....Granted that they've displayed an ad for Windows Tune-Up Services (49$ Bitdefender program)
[attachment=2827]

I've run in a Sandbox a very old sample of a rogue (Win 7 Antispyware Pro 2013) while Bitdefender 60-Second Virus Scanner was enabled, the real-time protection or the on-demand scan didn't detect any malicious activity. I do realize that this product can't take the task of an antivirus however my question is .... What areas is this product scanning it's real time protection and on-demand scan?Only the active process and Windows files?
[attachment=2828]

PS. Will test this product in a VMware to see how it really works. :)

Attachments

• bd2.jpg
    bd2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 668
  • bd1.jpg
    bd1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 662
  • dsa.jpg
    dsa.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 658
  • areas.jpg
    areas.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 507

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
A little update:
I've run a few old samples in the Sandboxie and this product detect the malicious files....
[attachment=2831]
This report will be displayed once you click the "Bitdefender has found 3 threats on your computer".
[attachment=2830]

However their is a down side, Bitdefender 60-Second Virus Scanner can't remove any infections, they only recommend to install Bitdefender Total Security or Internet Security to remove the infected objects.....
This is the url that will redirect you to the Bitdefender page once you click the Free download button.
Code:
http://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/promo/?pid=60sec5&ipm_id=60_Second_Scanner_1_big_unknown
What's up with that Bitdefender?Where is the fair behavior? Lets say I was using this product for 1 month and when the real need for it arises ... you ask me to uninstall my Antivirus and install yours? So this product can constantly run a background process however it can't remove a malicious file..
Why didn't you setup this product to work like Eset Online Scanner then, you know.... LIKE AN ON-DEMAND scanner!
Thanks for this product..but no thanks! As other have said , this is just another advertising tool.

Attachments

• bit2.jpg
    bit2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 672
  • bit1.jpg
    bit1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 571
D

Deleted member 178

NathanF1 said:
And it would be really great if we get off our high moral ground [armchair], stop dissing at AV vendors at will, respect them for what they're doing, because let's face it - these guys made a conscious choice to be working in the PC security industry to provide us with protection, right?

not for our protection, for business..., if they do it just for us they will make their AV free, like comodo, HMP, MBAM, Avira, Avast, etc... i never heard "BD AV free"...

Would be productive if we can be more moderate and tolerant, instead we're coming across as militant, opinionated and aggressive. What happened to the level-headed, non-offensive and constructive discussion?

When a vendor do "paid" products and release free things that mislead the average users like this, i don't have to be tolerant.
It is a scareware not better than a rogue. shameful.

my over-protected system is at risk after using this tool...come on...

this is just my opinion.

P

Plexx

NathanF1 said:

No one here is on the fence of dissing AV vendors and what not. In fact we respect them and even in regards to anvisoft (might have spelled it wrong), we have shown respect by giving some constructive feedback.

The only difference here is the fact that this tool is rather questionable and the website although does inform of nearly what it does, does not says everything, leaving question marks, hence why I asked the valid questions on my first post.

As for the original post and my apologies with feedback:

Scareware was actually the variation of words I was looking for as opposed to False Advertisement.

Regardless, as Jack and Earth pointed out: an Online scanner is offered and then for removal recommends their own products.

However if I am truly honest here and do feel free to disagree with me, average joe will not do such thing.

Instead the user will ignore it, call it a day and keep what he/she had until the system drops to it's knees. Sad but true.

My main suggestion which is most valid is still: Please advertise that this is a scan tool only and does not remove any infection and it will recommend BD lineup for removal. By doing so, nothing is being omitted nor partially false advertised.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Guys, no need to explain what and why, if anything, it's the how that was the topic of my post.

It just seemed the reaction was a bit disproportionate. Obviously, functionality issues, compounded by, as you rightly pointed out, what's not being said and omitted being as important as what has been disclosed. The funny thing is that we look for nefarious intention and quite often it's just an oversight and miscommunication within a software enterprise.

When I referred to conscious decision, I meant "AV vendors", not just Bitdefender. A lot of people in the industry have the technical knowledge to maliciously exploit their position for personal gains, yet provide us with security tools, whether free or paid and resist the temptation to join the "dark side".

You're highly regarded and influential, your statements and points-of-view affect and resonate with many MT members and guests. Be humble in victory, gracious in defeat, confident and responsible power.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Been using this product for a few days, it didn't cause any lag on my system and with KIS 2013 works without any problems (don't know how it works with some less known products..) .......... It has a good detection rate and once it find a threat will display a pop-up.
If you look for an extra-detection layer for your real time protection , this is a good option, however please keep in mind that it can't remove any infections so.... that's that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.