Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It is too heavy to run bitdefender total security 2016 along with extra security software.
So what's better: BD on its own, or Windows Defender + Malwarebytes anti-ransomware + Spyshelter free?
That freebie combo runs pretty smoothly for me.
In either case, I will be running MBAE, which works well with most security softs.
WIndows 10 pro x64 stable build.

Reactions: Noxx
N

Noxx

I would say that Windows Defender (10 version) + MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (Not ransomeware) + SpyShelter is better than BitDefender. For me, BitDefender has excellent signatures, but as a security suite it's buggy as all get out.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I get along pretty well with BD at this point, although I had my fair share of problems in the past.

Reactions: Noxx

8-Bit Ghetto

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2016
BitDefender is good in general, but when it come to PUPs it fail to detect them. Also, Malwarebytes Anti Ransomware is still in beta stage, and what does that means is you will experience a lot of bugs and it's not recommended to use on a production machine, so use it at your own risk. And I don't think you need Spyshelter firewall at all because Windows Firewall is good enough to protect you. But you can try VoodooShield + Windows Defender and I think that is good enough for every day usage really, plus is light as well.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I really liked the idea of voodooshield at first, and I was in fact trying it out for the past few days. But then I saw a post from someone on a different forum where this product is discussed in detail with the dev, he was complaining that voodoo stable build was silently preventing some windows updates. That made me think twice. I had noticed that my windows 10 alarm clock was not ringing, maybe that is why.

But about spyshelter, you have to understand that it is not a firewall, even though it calls itself one. It does not replace WF. It is more of a HIPS software, you get more HIPS with each higher version. The highest version is called firewall, even though it isn't one, in the proper sense of the term.

N

Noxx

I really liked the idea of voodooshield at first, and I was in fact trying it out for the past few days. But then I saw a post from someone on a different forum where this product is discussed in detail with the dev, he was complaining that voodoo stable build was silently preventing some windows updates. That made me think twice. I had noticed that my windows 10 alarm clock was not ringing, maybe that is why.

But about spyshelter, you have to understand that it is not a firewall, even though it calls itself one. It does not replace WF. It is more of a HIPS software, you get more HIPS with each higher version. The highest version is called firewall, even though it isn't one, in the proper sense of the term.

Windows 10 Firewall is a solid firewall. As long as you have a strong HIPS, which SpyShelter is, and you have good real-time antimalware protection (with some on-demand scanners), your average user should never be on the receiving end of an infection.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It is too heavy to run bitdefender total security 2016 along with extra security software.
So what's better: BD on its own, or Windows Defender + Malwarebytes anti-ransomware + Spyshelter free?
That freebie combo runs pretty smoothly for me.
In either case, I will be running MBAE, which works well with most security softs.
WIndows 10 pro x64 stable build.
I can't say I understand why, but this morning I am not experiencing a significant delay in start-up time, even though I am running BD + SpS free + MBAE premium + MBAR beta.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I can't say I understand why, but this morning I am not experiencing a significant delay in start-up time, even though I am running BD + SpS free + MBAE premium + MBAR beta.
I think BD just had to learn the behavior of the new software. It takes time for learning process.
I have uninstalled MBAR because it has potential for conflicting with the anti-ransomware module of BD, and it is only a beta .

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The stability and its quickness to load on system varies with Bitdefender compare on simplicity of Windows Defender.

But of course when comes on prevention capabilities then its Bitdefender however WD can be improve by adding a multi engine companion product like SecureAplus.

Meanwhile MBAR is at the beta stage but you may check other alternatives that can successfully prevent ransomware samples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.