App Review Bitdefender Antivirus Free 2022

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Yea using BD changes the cert and it causes issues with performance of some websites that i browse in, causes issues with quic (errors in console) & for some reason only uses http/1 for those image heavy sites causing massive slowdown when browsing around.
first of all @Shadowra great test!

And I second this. I only tried the new free version for a few hours and on some websites it slowed them down to a crawl.
that and combined with some detections not being logged in the program on my machine and the problems that could inccure with also not being able to find a quarantine option in the interface :unsure: is why I ultimately decided to uninstall for now.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Bitdefender is good for adguard users as you wont have two overlapping https certificates
No, I meant to say Bitdefender does use a root certificate.
And AdGuard desktop does use a root certificate.
This could cause some troubles, which root certificate will be used?
Adblocking vs malware protection.

For this reason, I prefer the AdGuard browser extension over the AdGuard desktop application.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018

For this reason, I prefer the AdGuard browser extension over the AdGuard desktop application.
Yeah i installed both of adguard and bitdefender free, browsing got incredibly slow... just replaced adguard desktop with firefox + ublock origin . Also the blocking page of bitdefender got greyed out with adguard so learned my lesson there

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Yea using BD changes the cert and it causes issues with performance of some websites that i browse in, causes issues with quic (errors in console) & for some reason only uses http/1 for those image heavy sites causing massive slowdown when browsing around.
Can you name a couple of those sites where you had slow page loading? I would like to test and may even report back to Bitdefender if I can.

Numeriku

Level 2
Verified
Mar 13, 2022
Can you name a couple of those sites where you had slow page loading? I would like to test and may even report back to Bitdefender if I can.

Not sure if I can link them but i''ll just try, first one is kpopsource.com, second is forum.allkpop.com, i stopped using bd after encountering the issue and seeing those quic errors on dev console but the main thing is images being loaded on http/1 which causes the performance issues.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014

Can that be solved by just disabling HTTPS filtering on one of them?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Can that be solved by just disabling HTTPS filtering on one of them?
Normally I would say yes, but that doesn't seem to work:
Maybe it is better to just use AdGuard's extension in your browser instead of the desktop version of AdGuard with Bitdefender Free.
IMO it doesn't make sense to lower your protection in Bitdefender just to block Ad's.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
A possible solution is mentioned by @SeriousHoax here:
When using an AV with HTTPS scanning, it's recommended to disable the WFP driver option in the Network section of Adguard.
To my knowledge, Bitdefender and ESET at least these two AVs which does HTTPS scanning uses Windows Filtering Platform aka WFP to filter HTTPS traffic. So, when both Bitdefender and Adguard uses the same filter, it creates issues. So disable that from Adguard. After that, Adguard will automatically install a network adapter mini-port filter driver to filter HTTPS traffic. It'll ask for a system restart, and after that things should be normal.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.