Battle Bitdefender AV 2013 Vs Emsisoft AntiMalware v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

VectorFool

Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2012
I am trying to decide between Bitdefender and Emsisoft (Antivirus)

which one is better in Terms of
Protection (Real-Time Detection from unknown and Known Malware)
Detection (On-Demand Detection)
Removal of Malware (which is most important to me, It should Delete all Traces)

D

Deleted member 178

Do you know that EAM uses Bit Defender engine plus its own one? also EAM has a very potent Behavior Blocker, surely the best in the market.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
Do you know that EAM uses Bit Defender engine plus its own one? also EAM has a very potent Behavior Blocker, surely the best in the market.

VectorFool i would tell you that if you have any problem with EAM. Umbra is the Best Person you can ask. He is the Expert Of EAM

VectorFool

Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:

Unknown said:
Umbra Corp. said:

VectorFool i would tell you that if you have any problem with EAM. Umbra is the Best Person you can ask. He is the Expert Of EAM

I am aware that Emsisoft AntiMalware includes Bitdefender Engine,
in fact it is the reason why i created this thread.
If the reports from AV-Comparatives and AV-Test are taken in context, it is seen that although 3rd Party Antiviruses like F-Secure, G-Data, Roboscan, BullGuard etc use the Bitdefender Engines and Definitions and have "Detection Rates" similar or even better than Bitdefender, they tend to do worse when it comes to "Real World Protection", "Malware Removal", "Repair" etc which in my opinion are just as important.

My conclusion from this is, even though other AVs may use BD engine, they may/may not be better than the actual Bitdefender Antivirus

now since there are not many Comparatives or Tests of Emsisoft Anti-Malware, i wanted to know the collective opinion of MalwareTips on the choice between BDAV 2013 and EAM v7 when it comes to Detection Removal of detected Malware.

D

Deleted member 178

VectorFool said:
I am aware that Emsisoft AntiMalware includes Bitdefender Engine,
in fact it is the reason why i created this thread.
If the reports from AV-Comparatives and AV-Test are taken in context, it is seen that although 3rd Party Antiviruses like F-Secure, G-Data, Roboscan, BullGuard etc use the Bitdefender Engines and Definitions and have "Detection Rates" similar or even better than Bitdefender, they tend to do worse when it comes to "Real World Protection", "Malware Removal", "Repair" etc which in my opinion are just as important.My conclusion from this is, even though other AVs may use BD engine, they may/may not be better than the actual Bitdefender Antivirus

i don't trust testing organizations so i believe only real world uses, and EAM perform very well.
you can check the results of EAM on our "malware hub" it is often above 90%

now since there are not many Comparatives or Tests of Emsisoft Anti-Malware, i wanted to know the collective opinion of MalwareTips on the choice between BDAV 2013 and EAM v7 when it comes to Detection Removal of detected Malware.

If you check the forum and member's config, you will many of us using Emsisoft Emergency Kit, an infected-system cleaner, it is just EAM free made portable.

For me EAM > BDAV and EIS > BDIS

P

Plexx

In terms of detection, both BD and EAM will be on part, although there is the chance of EAM detecting something based on their in house engine that BD cannot detect.

In terms of Scan speed: EAM is way faster. BD is simply slow as a snail to say the least. This was an issue brought up since the beta and upon final release of 2013 and still no improvements made.

In terms of Cleaning capabilities, EAM is far superior.

In terms of Lightness, it is subjective to personal opinions. EAM has the problem of spikes on RAM sometimes, but at the same time BD was far from light on my high end system.

In terms of Protection, EAM has Mamutu technology included, which is a Behavior Blocker and by far one of the best ones on the market.

D

Deleted member 178

I agree with what Biozfear said , EAM main cons is its random spikes in some systems, for the rest it outperform BDAV.

Emsisoft succeeded to make me shift from Comodo to their softs, a real performance :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Also like to add that BitDefender has a bug that automatically permanently deletes deleted files even if they are false positives and doesn't allow exclusions on the Auto scan. You can not recover them either.

This is very bad detected files should always be moved to quarantine where they can be easily restored in case of false positives.

Emsisoft has a whitelist and allows you to choose how to deal with detected files.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
Also like to add that BitDefender has a bug that automatically permanently deletes deleted files even if they are false positives and doesn't allow exclusions on the Auto scan. You can not recover them either.

seriously? i didn't knew that! ok so BD is crap for me.

VectorFool

Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2012
Littlebits said:

This is very bad detected files should always be moved to quarantine where they can be easily restored in case of false positives.

Emsisoft has a whitelist and allows you to choose how to deal with detected files.

Its not true

You can set exclusions in BitDefender AV 2013 and turn it on/off
Bitdefender does not completely delete files any more, if some file has been deleted by Bitdefender and is not present in the Quarantine list,
Check the Events--->Antivirus--->select the event where your file was detected and removed---->a "Restore" button will appear.

D

Deleted member 178

VectorFool said:
Bitdefender does not completely delete files any more, if some file has been deleted by Bitdefender and is not present in the Quarantine list,
Check the Events--->Antivirus--->select the event where your file was detected and removed---->a "Restore" button will appear.

quite complicated for the common user...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
VectorFool said:
Littlebits said:

Its not true

There is a bug in BitDefender which skips the quarantine and permanently deletes deleted files, I know because I just recently tried both the free and paid 2013 versions. I reported it to BitDefender online chat and they said they already knew about the bug and apologized for the problems. No news on when it will be fixed. It only applies to the on-demand scanner, not the real-time protection. You can turn off Auto scan as a work around until the bug is fixed.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I would still vote for Bitdefender. But not the AV, the IS is good. I have used bitdefender for almost 5-6months and never encountered issues. My license ran out :(

I

illumination

Answering your question of which would be better in Protection, Detection, and Removal, I would have to say Emsisoft would be the best choice of these two products, for the same reasons already listed by other members in this thread.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Emsisoft work on my Father Computer which is Windows XP which has less that 1 GB of memory. BitDefender could not be install and/or would make my Father Computer crash and re-start! Personal experience! Emsisoft
is superior in so many ways.

Greg

Sep 14, 2013
EAM is more than anti virus, why compare it to BitDefender AV, not Total Security?
What I am really interested in though is EAM on Windows 8 vs. BD Windows 8 Security. Any experience on that?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.