App Review Bitdefender AV Plus - ATC & Antiransomware module - ransomware test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks for the video

Kaspersky is better than Emsisoft. So where does Bitdefender stands? Last?
it will be the third. So far. I will test norton SONAR online/offline to see where it stands

for me, if a behavior blocker cannot block petya, it immediately fails

K

KGBagent47

I'm gonna shill for Bitdefender now:

> I've used BIS for a couple years now, average memory is high 150 low 80. The high usage you were experiencing was do to initial install learning your system.

> Updates should always be done on Bitdefender, even after fresh installs it's not uncommon to have to restart again after a significant BD update. (I know it's slow)

> ATC should NEVER be disabled because it is also BD self-defense.

>I know ransmomware module isn't default but I wish you would have included it for most of the test, since most of the test was ransomware. And the module is a behavior blocker for certain folders.

> In regards to Petya, remember the cornerstone and greatness of Bitdefender is their signatures.

Thanks for sharing the videos with us. It's cool to see these products in action.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
>I know ransmomware module isn't default but I wish you would have included it for most of the test, since most of the test was ransomware. And the module is a behavior blocker for certain folders.
> In regards to Petya, remember the cornerstone and greatness of Bitdefender is their signatures.
signature detection is a bit outdated although it's the strength of BD. Emsisoft and kaspersky also have great signatures, even better than BD nowadays If the BB cannot protect against new threats, we should consider other products which have better a behavior blocker or other modules which are similar

petya has been there for a very long time so why can't BD include its pattern of attack in their behavior blocker? What if someone creates a new petya or mamba or other types of MBR-ransomwares, how can BD can protect us? in this video, ATC aggressive + antiransomware module failed so there is an obvious vulnerability in their software for a long period of time

emsisoft has done a much better job than BD's ATC and it's very very light, confirmed by users + it's cheaper than BD

for paid AVs, we should consider Kaskersky and Emsisoft only
When we should consider other products
1/ It should be significantly lighter than Kaspersky
2/ Kaspersky or emsisoft are restricted in your countries or their cloud networks are frequently disconnected
3/ If your regional AVs are good enough + number 2/

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.