Bitdefender Box 2

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
So the Bitdefender Box is now in its second version but aside from sponsored YouTube videos and vague review sites you can't really find an unbiased opinion on it. It's $179 for the first year then $99 per year afterwards which includes Bitdefender Total Security for unlimited devices (which I believe actually costs more than $99 per year?).

They claim it's going to be released for me (in the UK) soon along with some other European markets, do you think it's worth considering for that Total Security subscription and its security features?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Depends on the amount of devices you're planning on install Total Security on and how much the Box subscription will be when it comes to the UK.
Going off current U.S. pricing on Bitdefender's official site and disregarding the discount that's currently offered there, if you planned on installing Box's included Total Security on less than 10 devices then it would never be cheaper than paying for a standard Total Security subscription.
If, however, you planned on installing it on 11 - 15 devices then paying for the Box subscription would be more expensive for the first three years but on the fourth and every year after that would be cheaper than a Family Pack subscription.
The Box subscription would also be cheaper than paying for a Small Office Security subscription if you wanted Total Security on 16 - 20 devices.

(Pricing was calculated using 1-year renewal intervals.)

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Depends on the amount of devices you're planning on install Total Security on and how much the Box subscription will be when it comes to the UK.
Going off current U.S. pricing on Bitdefender's official site and disregarding the discount that's currently offered there, if you planned on installing Box's included Total Security on less than 10 devices then it would never be cheaper than paying for a standard Total Security subscription.
If, however, you planned on installing it on 11 - 15 devices then paying for the Box subscription would be more expensive for the first three years but on the fourth and every year after that would be cheaper than a Family Pack subscription.
The Box subscription would also be cheaper than paying for a Small Office Security subscription if you wanted Total Security on 16 - 20 devices.

(Pricing was calculated using 1-year renewal intervals.)
I heard the pricing will be the same but obviously that's not confirmed. I probably would use upwards of 10 devices as I plan to give it out to other family members compared to just my household, my router is also an ISP provided one and credit where it's due it supports gigabit and runs fine, but it gets hot, range is... decent I guess but security, there's basically nothing. People have reported how a 0.5Mbps DoS can slow it down which is inexcusable. Also can't even change the DNS, it lacks basic options like that.

Do you think this router is better than the F-Secure SENSE or Norton Core? I hear Avira are working on "Safe Things" but they have no release date for any country yet.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I'd be inclined to go with a better layered solution rather than bit defender on the gateway, and bit defender on each system. Box was a pile of junk with a 10/100 NIC in it, I hear they improved the hardware in Box 2. Norton Core is anemic, and drastically slows your internet. No experience with F-Secure Sense.

Gryphon is the best IMO. You get ESET on the gateway, AI/ML IPS, robust parental controls and a router that is hardened from all known hacking methods, and one that doesn't send your logs or activity off the device, clears the limited logs every few hours on the device, and the developers have no external monitoring or debug capabilities unless they send you a debug unit and connect to you with TeamViewer.

If I was going to run Box 2 I would pair it with a different product on the gateway, which then renders it much less of a value.

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
I have ESET on my household's devices right now actually, and I've heard of the Gryphon but I don't have the kind of money to pay for that monthly plus a family pack for the devices I need it for unfortunately so that's not an option.

Miyagi

Level 1
Verified
Jul 7, 2013
According to the admin at the Norton forum, Norton Core will be discontinued.

"We are discontinuing the hardware production of Norton Core and as of January 31, 2019, Norton Core is no longer available for purchase. Current Norton Core customers with an active subscription to Norton Core Security Plus software will continue to receive protection for their home network, connected devices, laptops, tablets and smartphones through January 31, 2021. Nevertheless, our commitment to protecting the connected home remains strong. We are working to expand Norton Core into a software solution that will help protect the connected home regardless of the router or Internet Service Provider."

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Gryphon is the best IMO. You get ESET on the gateway, AI/ML IPS, robust parental controls and a router that is hardened from all known hacking methods, and one that doesn't send your logs or activity off the device, clears the limited logs every few hours on the device, and the developers have no external monitoring or debug capabilities unless they send you a debug unit and connect to you with TeamViewer.

I've always been interested in this product, @ForgottenSeer 58943 is it available outside the US, or is it a US only product atm? I've sent them an email inquiring about it being available in my country, however they haven't replied back...:cry:

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Damn, glad I never invested in the Core then. Shame for those who did.

I agree.

I was interested in it when it came out, but it was never available in my country. As far as I know it was a US only product. I think that's the problem with many of these devices. They are fantastic idea's and quit frankly what our routers should be today, but many of them are only available in very few countries, so they don't get very much attention IMO. Another example is the F-Secure Sense, I really want to try it, but it's not available in my country. Sigh.:emoji_disappointed:

I can see a limited release initially, but many of these products have been out for years and they haven't expanded on their markets what's so ever from what I can see.

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
I agree.

I was interested in it when it came out, but it was never available in my country. As far as I know it was a US only product. I think that's the problem with many of these devices. They are fantastic idea's and quit frankly what our routers should be today, but many of them are only available in very few countries, so they don't get very much attention IMO. Another example is the F-Secure Sense, I really want to try it, but it's not available in my country. Sigh.:emoji_disappointed:

I can see a limited release initially, but many of these products have been out for years and they haven't expanded on their markets what's so ever from what I can see.
From Bitdefender Box FAQ:
Bitdefender BOX V2 is currently available in the United States, Canada, Japan and select markets in Europe (France, Germany, Romania). We are working hard to make it available in more countries.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Thanks,

Yes that's the only one out of all the ones available, that I am able to purchase. I'm curious as to why many of these products don't expand out much. I understand that there may be some "certifications/requirements" before a product can be sold in a particular country in general, but it seems like it should have been sorted out by now. Unless they aren't sure how it will sell, so they purposefully keep the market small? :unsure:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.