Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
BITDEFENDER HQ, Jan. 20, 2014 – Bitdefender, the creator of innovative global antivirus solutions, announced it will continue to provide free antimalware support to Windows XP users for as long as 32 months after Microsoft ends support for XP SP3 and Office 2003. Support for older Windows SP versions (SP2 and SP1) has ended in 2010 and 2011.

BITDEFENDER HQ, Jan. 20, 2014– Bitdefender, the creator of innovative global antivirus solutions, announced it will continue to provide free antimalware support to Windows XP users for as long as 32 months after Microsoft ends support for XP SP3 and Office 2003. Support for older Windows SP versions (SP2 and SP1) has ended in 2010 and 2011.

Bitdefender will continue to provide support to help affected home users fight off viruses, Trojans, spyware and other malware until at least January 2016 and for enterprise customers until at least January 2017.

Microsoft has announced it will end support for XP SP3 and Office 2003 starting April 8, 2014, meaning users of those versions will no longer receive updates including crucial security patches to protect their computers.

According to our records, one in five Windows computers uses XP and Bitdefender recognizes not all users can quickly shift to a newer version. Enterprise deployment can take months or years and home users may have to wait until the resources are available to make the switch.

Bitdefender understands the difficulties and security challenges users face and aims to ensure they remain protected throughout software changeovers. Besides extending support significantly past April 2014, the elite antivirus provider may grant further extensions.

“We will continue to offer assistance to Bitdefender users who decide not to upgrade or are in the process of upgrading their OS," said Catalin Cosoi, Chief Security Strategist & Global Communications Director at Bitdefender. "Their computers will remain updated with the latest security fixes to protect against malware and phishing attacks. We are flexible and may extend support past these dates, depending on market circumstances.”
Source

b91

Jan 16, 2014
It's nice they keep supporting it, but i think you would need a quite powerful Win XP PC to be able to run Bitdefender :p

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
It's nice they keep supporting it, but i think you would need a quite powerful Win XP PC to be able to run Bitdefender :p
Why? I ran BD free on a P4 XP box with 1GB max RAM. The problem with BD there wasn't resource usage, it was that the damn thing was so buggy.

b91

Jan 16, 2014
Why? I ran BD free on a P4 XP box with 1GB max RAM. The problem with BD there wasn't resource usage, it was that the damn thing was so buggy.
I have no experience with BD free (not available in my country), i meant the paid versions of BD. When I installed that on a 4-5 yr old Win 7 PC it was very, very slow and inresponsive.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I have dual core 2GB XP. That said, I won't touch Bitdefender suites with a ten foot pole. It is just to buggy. Whether that is because of my dilapidated XP or Bitdefender, I do not know.

The paid version of a suite is what I used about a year ago and it was a headache. I am fortunate to have gotten my internet connection back in a timely fashion. Most would have not figured out the remedy of the malady that Bitdefender was responsible for. The machine I had it one was in excellent working order with plenty of RAM and front bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.