BD Free is not compatible with Windows 10

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Bitdefender free antivirus 2014 not 2016. Its still the same 2014 AV. Some keep upgrading the number every year ;)

Infamous

Level 1
Verified
Dec 20, 2015
I would say that there is no "best" AV out of the choices present. In fact, there is no "best" AV product out there. The reason for this is because there are so many samples out there that you cannot know a fixed detection ratio which is guaranteed per AV, each product will react differently to different threats and will detect different samples; as well as this, each different engine incorporated in the different AV products have different technology or may be more matured in some areas than other products.

All three products are known to have a decent detection ratio for both old and new malicious software. Of course, some will detect samples others don't and this is due to them obtaining different samples for analysis and having different detection engines (e.g. one product may have more matured heuristics whereas the other product may have a larger database of new malware to detect different samples the other product missed). All three products are regularly updated and contain new virus database definitions on a daily basis, as well as supporting "automatic updates".

Bitdefender Free Antivirus includes features such as: Real-Time shield, Active Virus Control, Intrusion Detection System, B-Have, HTTP Scanning (web protection) and Anti-rootkit technology. These are more or less the fundamentals to what you need for security, without the additional and fancy features included in Internet Security versions of security products. You can read more about the features included in Bitdefender Free Antivirus here: Free Antivirus Software - Download Bitdefender Antivirus Free

Bitdefender B-Have is a feature which will analyse the behaviour of applications in a safe environment (isolated environment) allowing it to decide if the program is found to be malicious or safe. It works pro-actively.

Panda Free Antivirus includes features such as: antivirus engine (e.g. real-time protection), WiFi protection, Parental Control, Data Shield, Password Manager and more. You can read more about the features included in Panda Free Antivirus here: FREE and lightweight antivirus - Panda Security

Avira Antivirus Free includes features such as: antivirus engine (e.g. real-time protection), PUA Shield (this will attempt to detect Potentially Unwanted Applications which become hidden and bundled with other legitimate software), Safe Browsing and other features. You can read more about the features included in Avira Antivirus Free here: Avira Free Antivirus | Download the Best Free Antivirus Software

They are more or less all similar in the way that they are providing base line protection for free.

If you are looking towards zero-day protection and are a click happy user, you may be interested in working with a sandbox whilst browsing (or for testing new downloads before having them run on the host machine without any restrictions). For this, I recommend Sandboxie (free version would be enoguh).

All three products have been proven to protect the system well, you'll be good to go with any of the three products. Please remember, that regardless of the AV product you chose, any careless user will end up becoming infected therefore if you apply careful browsing and downloading techniques, you will have a greater chance of not becoming infected.

As an end conclusion, I recommend you test out the different three products you mentioned (at different times of course) as the choices for this thread for awhile - afterwards, decide which one you like the best and which one you feel more comfortable with using.

Hope this helped. ;)

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Here's why I chose Bitdefender:

1.) Avira is quite good but has very bad heuristics and zero-day protection which does not give you peace of mind.
2.) Panda I have never used but have heard bad things about.
3.) Bitdefender has neither of those problems so by elimination, it gets my vote.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Bitdefender Free since they implemented other enhancement of prevention capabilities to ensure that even though traditional techniques may bypass at least plan B concept occur.

Avira Free meanwhile rely too much on pure detection where the APC use partially for reference collection.

Panda Free may perform well but not actually the expectations + no plan B in case of bypass.

Reactions: Solarlynx

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Bitdefender free is very robust as it has almost the same protection as paid. So Bitdefender free is more secure than Avira free or Panda free. But you have no configurations at all in Bitdefender free except on or off for "Virus Shield" and "Auto Scan". Thus Bitdefender free is the winner for those who cannot or don't want to take decisions or play with configuration.

Last edited:

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
2.) Panda I have never used but have heard bad things about.
What bad things? I'm interested because Panda is the best free AV I've used without question. It's pretty light, updates when it's supposed to and uninstalls cleanly without the need for additional removal tools. Every other free AV I've used has had one or more problems in these areas. It's also ideal for basic users as you can pretty much leave it to get on with things on its own with no user input. In fact, after using it for 18 months, the only 'problem' I've had was a FP the other day when it identified the Adguard installer as malware.

I believe there was an issue with some people last year when Panda identified some of its own updates as malware but I had no problem. If you try Panda for yourself I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Reactions: vrb93 and CySecy825
C

CySecy825

Thread author
What bad things? I'm interested because it's the best free AV I've used without question. It's pretty light, updates when it's supposed to and uninstalls cleanly without the need for additional removal tools. Every other free AV I've used has had one or problems in these areas. It's also ideal for basic users as you can pretty much leave it to get on with things on its own. In fact, after using it for 18 months, the only 'problem' I've had was a FP the other day when it identified the Adguard installer as malware.

I believe there was an issue with some people last year when Panda identified some of its own updates as malware but I had no problem. If you try Panda for yourself I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
well now i use EAM in main protection,but i use for free Quihoo or Panda :)

Last edited by a moderator:

vrb93

Level 5
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
On my system Panda has been light and effective, it did its job quietly, it's configurable, plus it has a nice web shield.
Avira is known to be a light solution and having excellent signatures but I don't like their way of approaching web protection.
BD free is one of the most amazing products I've tried considering its level of protection, but keeping in mind it's buggy, heavy and it eats up your HDD usage, I would never suggest it.

So I would pick Panda, but Avira would be a fine choice too

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.