App Review Bitdefender Free Antivirus 2017 Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I was using it recently and it works great with multiple download of definitions a day. But it slows my system down during start up so have to remove and use WD instead

If you install after CFW it'll detect it as an antivirus and ask you to remove CFW otherwise it'll not proceed to install

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I was using it recently and it works great with multiple download of definitions a day. But it slows my system down during start up so have to remove and use WD instead

If you install after CFW it'll detect it as an antivirus and ask you to remove CFW otherwise it'll not proceed to install
Probably a good choice for windows 7 systems

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Good performance from BD Free.
In my system it slows my browsing but not much and i have an old laptop.
BD needs improvement on pup detection.
Other than that is a good product.
In the past I tested it in the hub.. It was missing all chinese PUP. Probably a policy of their antivirus house, not adding them to signatures

K

KGBagent47

It's fun to go on VirusTotal and look at how many AVs use Bitdefender's signatures..... It's a lot!!!

My reason to use the paid version is possible signature update priority, ransomware protection module and ATC aggressive option (which is, you guessed it aggressive).

Bitdefender IS and Kaspersky AV remain the perfect recommendation for standard users. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sr. Normal 2.0

I had it with Comodo Firewall and Malwarebytes anti Exploit and did a very good work, but there are other free solutions that I prefer to protect my computer, simply because I like "browsing" in the configuration, choose different options and with BD free is not possible. Another great review from The PC Security Channel :)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I must say BD is fabulous at its job, configurability aside.
Its mostly not for parents and grandparents. One day when I was out, my dad had a TeamViewer session with a Broking firm support to install and configure their Stock Market prototype software on my dad's PC. Bitdefender free (the older version) refused to allow it, neither the remote technician nor my dad could figure out a way to prevent continuous blocking. Damn, its good only for me and my friends!

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
In fact i managed to install BD free after CFW with no problems at all.
2017-01-07_010030.png

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Bitdefender Free 2017 is what I'd call simple but amazingly effective interface design. Bitdefender really knows how to simplify the interface while keeping all the tweaking functionality necessary to smoothly use an AV. I mean, sure you can't make exclusions in advance, but that would just complicate everything with new interface elements. I don't think there is any way one could improve the interface further. I also like how it integrates into Windows 10 notifications and how log of detections, scans and updates scrolls the list down in the main interface. It's just so functional and minimalistic. I love it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.