New Update Bitdefender Free Antivirus is back

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Mine has not calmed down yet, but I only installed it late last night before turning my PC off. Will see if it calms down a bit throughout the day.

View attachment 265125
350 isn’t so bad as long as you aren’t on an old system that’s short on RAM. Hopefully it will drop a bit more for you. Who knows why it’s so variable.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
350 isn’t so bad as long as you aren’t on an old system that’s short on RAM. Hopefully it will drop a bit more for you. Who knows why it’s so variable.

It has actually shot up to about 375 since I posted this. Crazy stuff.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
It has actually shot up to about 375 since I posted this. Crazy stuff.
I don't know how photon works these days, but they used to recommend waiting 2-3 days to let it watch your system and reduce resource usage. Could also depend on what you have running and if it's monitoring/scanning things those programs are doing. Personally I have plenty of RAM so I don't even bother looking at that.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
I don't know how photon works these days, but they used to recommend waiting 2-3 days to let it watch your system and reduce resource usage. Could also depend on what you have running and if it's monitoring/scanning things those programs are doing. Personally I have plenty of RAM so I don't even bother looking at that.

I will definitely keep an eye on it. I am just a little surprised to see it using this much memory. Then again, BD always felt kind of heavy to me. As long as it does not interfere with what I am doing on my PC, it should be ok. Are you on the free version or paid by chance?

Reactions: Nevi and M4RT1NE2

Snue23

Level 1
Jan 12, 2022
I installed it on my pc , but found it interferes with adgaurd(Few sites break when using adgaurd desktop version with bitdefender , maybe it is just a certificate issue , as both are using root certificate issue ,I tried disabling https scanning it either of them , no help . Also this issue was not present before installing bitdefender free ) however its memory consumption was light this time . Actually is the first time I experienced Bitdefender being light on ram . Also , sorry for my bad english .

1647709546256.png

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I will definitely keep an eye on it. I am just a little surprised to see it using this much memory. Then again, BD always felt kind of heavy to me. As long as it does not interfere with what I am doing on my PC, it should be ok. Are you on the free version or paid by chance?
I had BD Internet Security on my laptop until 2 weeks ago. Never felt heavy. With AdGuard you’re going to disable BD’s HTTPS scanning, not sure if you can in the free version.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
One problem I have run into with BD. When I go some financial websites, I get this pop-up with a BTS upgrade offer. It is not there on all financial or credit related sites that I use but it is on my bank's site and some credit card sites. Turning off the recommendations in BD settings does not stop the pop-up. The window disappears by itself after a few seconds, but I still don't know if I like this or not. One of the good things about the old BD Free was it stayed quiet and out of the way and did not show any kind of upgrade offers except for one blurb at the bottom of the GUI that just said "click here to upgrade" or something like that.

There are still some good points here though. BD RAM usage is still very low, right now the main module is at 109.0 MB. Browsing is still very snappy. The length of time for a cold boot this morning was about 30 seconds less than it was when I used WD and BD was active and turned on as soon as my desktop loaded.

C.H.

1647710621057.png

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Apparently some people still haven't learned that RAM consumption is not linked if the program is heavy, but in its CPU usage, RAM memory is to be used.

As soon as I have time I'll put this BitDefender Free on the front line of the HUB.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Apparently some people still haven't learned that RAM consumption is not linked if the program is heavy, but in its CPU usage, RAM memory is to be used.

As soon as I have time I'll put this BitDefender Free on the front line of the HUB.
Thanks for testing Bitdefender Free in the HUB (y)

For others I will link the blogpost from Emsisoft again:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I installed it on my pc , but found it interferes with adgaurd(Few sites break when using adgaurd desktop version with bitdefender , maybe it is just a certificate issue , as both are using root certificate issue ,I tried disabling https scanning it either of them , no help . Also this issue was not present before installing bitdefender free ) however its memory consumption was light this time . Actually is the first time I experienced Bitdefender being light on ram . Also , sorry for my bad english .

View attachment 265126
When using an AV with HTTPS scanning, it's recommended to disable the WFP driver option in the Network section of Adguard.
To my knowledge, Bitdefender and ESET at least these two AVs which does HTTPS scanning uses Windows Filtering Platform aka WFP to filter HTTPS traffic. So, when both Bitdefender and Adguard uses the same filter, it creates issues. So disable that from Adguard. After that, Adguard will automatically install a network adapter mini-port filter driver to filter HTTPS traffic. It'll ask for a system restart, and after that things should be normal.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

View attachment 265126

Are you using Firefox? If so try to disable DNS over HTTPS in Firefox network settings, it solved the problem for me.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Memory use has risen throughout the day vs, getting lower. The app does not seem as light to me as others I have tested. Not sure if this will be a winner for my machine anyway.

L

Local Host

always thought bd was heavy, but I tried it yesterday, it's in fact very light consumes about 200 mb of ram and 0 cpu usage
If you want comparison, Kaspersky consumes 40MB with 0 CPU usage.
400 to 800 mb physical memory usage by bitdefender (or any other program for that matter) is no big deal except for older systems with 12 gb or less physical memory, in todays environment anythig less than 16 gb physical memory is obsolete, like this is an ad nauseum discuss about bitdefender products, if you know your system has limited physical memory why would you even try to use bitdefender ?

emsisoft gets the same criticisms people complain about its memory usage

the best thing bitdefender and others can do are hide memory usage as other avs do
8GB of RAM is still a standard today, 16GB is only for gaming PCs.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.