Battle BitDefender Free AV vs Avast Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Edit : Sorry,removed my previous comment. I needed to post on-topic rather than talking about CIS.

My vote goes for Avast Free Antivirus.

Thank you

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Payback said:
tapoo said:
i love to go with Avast Free, have every feature that anyone need in a basic antivirus

False,IMO. Comodo offers more features (HIPS,Firewall etc.),it have more features than paid AV solution offers (Weird o_O) like Eset nod32 (not sure about the Smart Security/Current version I am using),Kaspersky Anti-Virus etc.

He said a BASIC Anti-Virus, Not a full suite that can be complicated.

P

Plexx

3link9 said:
Payback said:
tapoo said:
i love to go with Avast Free, have every feature that anyone need in a basic antivirus

False,IMO. Comodo offers more features (HIPS,Firewall etc.),it have more features than paid AV solution offers (Weird o_O) like Eset nod32 (not sure about the Smart Security/Current version I am using),Kaspersky Anti-Virus etc.

He said a BASIC Anti-Virus, Not a full suite that can be complicated.

Not to mention Payback is going fully off topic.

Now on topic: Aint BD free AV an on demand scanner only (the one that was in Romanian only before)? if so, it cannot be compared to avast! free since it lacks nearly all tools for even a basic AV.

ad18

Verified
Jan 19, 2013
I tried Bitdefender Free AV but it took way too much RAM. It took about 120 MB of RAM. Avast uses about 9 MB. I would stick with Avast Free AV.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
BitDefender Free Antivirus is very buggy, I took it for a test run and was very unimpressed by it. There is a major bug in the scanner which automatically deletes all detected files without any warnings (including false positives). Most other AV's put detected files in their quarantine by default, with BitDefender Free Antivirus there are no options to change its behavior.

I lost several good programs and files which were falsely detected and deleted without any warnings. I contacted support online chat and they didn't offer to help me because I didn't have a paid license. Their support forum is useless.

Other issues include uses more resources then Avast, slows down web browsing, has a lot more false positives compared to Avast and slows down opening Windows Explorer, applications (even media files).

Because it is no secret that Avast Free is much better and gives free users good support in their forums.

Enjoy!!:D

Syntax

Level 1
Feb 4, 2012
For now, I will go with Avast. It's light and less buggy than BDAV free. but since BDAV free took a lot of customer feedbacks especially from Wilders then I can hope that the next new version will be light as a feather and less buggy.

I can't use BDAV free because of it's quarantine logic.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I'm going with avast! :)

Avast!:
I think avast! offers more features then any other free antivirus software out there. It is very light. I hate the ads on it now, but hey every company wants to now make money. I'm looking forward to the new version 8. I don't like how you have to register every year because if you install it on your grandparent's PC they won't remember to register it and they could become infected.

Bitdefender: It's nice to see another company making a free antivirus. It is a stripped done version of the paid products. They claim that it is light and that is true. It's web blocker is VERY strong. I don't like how there isn't any update button nor advanced options :(

sa112

Apr 29, 2013
:idea:
I tryed Bitdefender and Avast and i can say those two av's are using a low amount of resurces.Bit at the begining uses a lot, but uninstall any other av before install and let bit run on your pc a litle bit-2;3days until he gets used and you will see how smooth is it.
Bitdefender free has the same features as bitdefender av plus:antivirus and antispywere;antiphising;automatic scan;antirootkit.
All of them using bitdefender 2012 suites antimalwere signiatures.
I vote for Bitdefender, even avast is not far away but i m not sure about avast antiphising.

Seany007

Verified
May 3, 2013
I would go for Avast because I won't allow any AV to work in the auto-mode on my PC. Why? Risk of FP. With Avast you can change it. With Bitdefender free you can't shame.

GA4E1

Verified
May 4, 2013
Bitdefender is considered one of the best antivirus company with very good detection. I never try Bitdefender Free but have used avast before and is very good. For now I will say avast free!

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Hi! :)

I vot for Bitdefender, because Avast 8 is full of bugs and Bitdefender FREE have a great web protection, it's light on system resources, very good detection.

Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.