Bitdefender Free AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
Hi, Has anyone tested or used Bitdefender free AV. Isit as good as the paid version of the software of not? Its actually very light and fast but not sure about its effectiveness!!!!

Reactions: yigido
Y

yigido

I was using this.

Pros:
-It is very light and minimalist.
-Tiny interface,
-It has the lastest BD signatures.
-Behavioral detections
-MAlicious webpage blocking

Cons:
-Viewing the interface takes sometime.
-Scanning speed too slow
-No additional settings to configure it for yourself.
and I think it looks like an abondoned software..

IMO It is a good choice but there are lots of better and free antivruses out there.
Avira,Avast,Qihoo etc.

Reactions: trainbus120

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Like Yigido said there are a bunch of free alternatives. Personally I would use Qihoo over Bitdefender free. I don't think the development is there in Bitdefender free. The on demand scan is also sssssssllllllloooooooowwwwww. Painfully slow. Not one of my first choices.

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
I was using this.

Pros:
-It is very light and minimalist.
-Tiny interface,
-No additional settings to configure it for yourself.
-It has the lastest BD signatures.
-Behavioral detections
-MAlicious webpage blocking

Cons:
-Viewing the interface takes sometime.
-Scanning speed too slow
and I think it looks like an abondoned software..

IMO It is a good choice but there are lots of better and free antivruses out there.
Avira,Avast,Qihoo etc.
Thanks, dear, though I am not sure about 360 internet security. Is it safe and worth using.

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
Like Yigido said there are a bunch of free alternatives. Personally I would use Qihoo over Bitdefender free. I don't think the development is there in Bitdefender free. The on demand scan is also sssssssllllllloooooooowwwwww. Painfully slow. Not one of my first choices.
Which one will you suggest to me?

Y

yigido

Thanks, dear, though I am not sure about 360 internet security. Is it safe and worth using.
I am trying Qiho İS right now. Good detection rates and protection. Qihoo says there is no need a Firewall with our products. Because Qihoo gives you more security than a firewall. Windows Firewall is enough.
and I think and my experience, Qihoo has much FP's for clean files (VT : 1/51 ) into my computer. Qihoo is very slow to remove them despite my reportings.
You can use it. But I am thinking now to use Avira Free. It has a cloud (ıt is in their free products now). Good detection rates and good support for submitting files that is waht I like more :)

Reactions: trainbus120

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
I am trying Qiho İS right now. Good detection rates and protection. Qihoo says there is no need a Firewall with our products. Because Qihoo gives you more security than a firewall. Windows Firewall is enough.
and I think and my experience, Qihoo has much FP's for clean files (VT : 1/51 ) into my computer. Qihoo is very slow to remove them despite my reportings.
You can use it. But I am thinking now to use Avira Free. It has a cloud (ıt is in their free products now). Good detection rates and good support for submitting files that is waht I like more :)

Avira is good, though its UI has the windows firewall tab, wherein if windows firewall is off, it will always show at risk!!! The umbrella in the task bar also closes!!!!

Y

yigido

Avira is good, though its UI has the windows firewall tab, wherein if windows firewall is off, it will always show at risk!!! The umbrella in the task bar also closes!!!!
Try uninstalling all security products and give it a reinstall. I have no issue like that, sorry I cannot help.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
If you are using a non-administrator account, Avira will show the Windows firewall as "OFF," however it is NOT "Off." Avira UI has some features that can't be used when you are running in a non-administrator account - the Windows firewall settings is one of those features. Rest assured the firewall IS ON, though.
Most every AV will have some UI features that you won't be able to tweak while using a non-administrator account. That's to keep every user except the administrator from tinkering with the AV's settings.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
I will recommend Avira free.. Do a custom install and uncheck the firewall component.. Its useless IMO.. Its not even a firewall control for windows firewall.. All you can do is turn on/off windows firewall through Avira's interface.. Skip the firewall component and save some process running from memory..

You can also try Panda cloud, fortinet, avast, avg

Y

yigido

I will recommend Avira free.. Do a custom install and uncheck the firewall component.. Its useless IMO.. Its not even a firewall control for windows firewall.. All you can do is turn on/off windows firewall through Avira's interface.. Skip the firewall component and save some process running from memory..

You can also try Panda cloud, fortinet, avast, avg
Looks like you are using Avira Free (I saw it on your signature ;) )
Whats going on with it ? I want to use ?

Reactions: Raul90

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
I've used it and all of my experiences are already written here. :)

It's extremely light (in stark contrast with BD's other products, you wouldn't even tell they've made it!) and it doesn't annoy you at all. On the other side, its scans are very, very slow and the product itself kinda lacks features and is a little buggy.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Looks like you are using Avira Free (I saw it on your signature ;) )
Whats going on with it ? I want to use ?
Its very good if you ask me.. Now they have integrated Avira Protection cloud in the free version, its has got the same protection as their paid version. If you look at AV-comparitives they test Avira Internet security suite but it applies to Avira free as well. They have removed the nagging pop-up ads now.. But you will see once in a while a notification near tray icon, which is acceptable for me.. Only difference between free and paid version is web protection.. You can get Avira browser safety addon as a replacement for the web protection.. Scans are extremely fast and its very light on the system.. Don't install the firewall component with Avira.. There is a discussion in wilders that Avira's firewall and mail protection component significantly increases boot time, which Avira is working right now to resolve the issue. Honestly as I mentioned before, Avira's firewall is useless. All it does is when you click on the firewall it will open windows firewall. There is no control in Avira's interface. So skip the firewall component using custom install... Give it a try and see if you like it..

Y

yigido

Its very good if you ask me.. Now they have integrated Avira Protection cloud in the free version, its has got the same protection as their paid version. If you look at AV-comparitives they test Avira Internet security suite but it applies to Avira free as well. They have removed the nagging pop-up ads now.. But you will see once in a while a notification near tray icon, which is acceptable for me.. Only difference between free and paid version is web protection.. You can get Avira browser safety addon as a replacement for the web protection.. Scans are extremely fast and its very light on the system.. Don't install the firewall component with Avira.. There is a discussion in wilders that Avira's firewall and mail protection component significantly increases boot time, which Avira is working right now to resolve the issue. Honestly as I mentioned before, Avira's firewall is useless. All it does is when you click on the firewall it will open windows firewall. There is no control in Avira's interface. So skip the firewall component using custom install... Give it a try and see if you like it..
Thanks Kaptainbug ;) It sounds good, I will try it this night.

Reactions: KaptainBug
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.