Bitdefender free good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepiratedon

Thread author
Apr 23, 2012
Hello Malwaretipsers!
Just heard about Bitdefender free antivirus and downloaded it.

I am very happy with the low system impact
but I miss an exclude feature, and a way to remove things from quarantine to be able to use it. :)

My question is:
If I use this purely as my only security product will that be enough?
OFC, windows firewall is still enabled.

I use google chrome with adblock+ and scriptno & ghostery.
sure, I might download stuff on utorrent, but will bitdefender free protect me?

Also, the most important thing for me is that it's secure enough to make my banking business on the computer.

Thanks for the help!
I was in a rush writing this, so It might miss a red thread, but hope you understand what I am asking :)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes Bitdefender Free is really a fine product, unless you may experience stability issues.

It came as a Cloud Based AV so you need an active internet connection; + you don't need to worry about as it has web filter too. :)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
thepiratedon said:
Hello Malwaretipsers!
This product is a joke, and nothing more than a marketing release.
Bitdefender has some great paid products, however when it comes to freeware, they just release a product to make you buy the paid one.

Just take a look at Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition user interface:
[attachment=4094]
This product comes with NO features, no control what so ever, and it has a user interface the size of a Windows widget. Seriously, why would you have something like this installed on your computer?
No Behavior Blocker, no Sandbox, no HIPS or File Reputation system...basically this product is just a very simple antivirus engine.
Furthermore, Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition lacks some very basic options like the possibility of performing a system scan, exclude a folder from scanning, and the lack of a Quarantine feature, which make this product useless.
Comparing this product with Avast 8 Antivirus Free or Comodo Internet Security is just pure madness.

My advice: Uninstall Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition, and install Avast 8 Antivirus Free or Comodo Internet Security.

Attachments

• bitdefender-antivirus-free-edition.jpg
    bitdefender-antivirus-free-edition.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 3,396

thetechguy

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
I really like it. To each their own.. It's a great product. I'm NOT impressed with Avast 8.

For my clients who need something simple yet effective - this is the ticket. It's like MSE, but lighter and better detection. Not everyone needs HIPS or Sandbox or BB IMO. Especially HIPS. There are a lot of people inundated and confused by popup alerts and what to click. If I was going to pair it with anything, it'd be signature based product like MBAM Pro. I was using D+ and others but didn't really see any added benefit for my clients. I'm not a big Comodo fan.

For my relatives who have a limited connectivity/data plan this is what I've been using instead of Kingsoft (originally before that it was Panda Cloud). It works GREAT and doesn't download a bunch of updates. It's perfect.

Now for a computer savvy user who likes control and knows what to click, I'd recommend Kaspersky IS OR ESET SS with custom settings.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Jack said:
thepiratedon said:
Hello Malwaretipsers!
This product is a joke, and nothing more than a marketing release.
Bitdefender has some great paid products, however when it comes to freeware, they just release a product to make you buy the paid one.

Just take a look at Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition user interface:

This product comes with NO features, no control what so ever, and it has a user interface the size of a Windows widget. Seriously, why would you have something like this installed on your computer?
No Behavior Blocker, no Sandbox, no HIPS or File Reputation system...basically this product is just a very simple antivirus engine.
Furthermore, Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition lacks some very basic options like the possibility of performing a system scan, exclude a folder from scanning, and the lack of a Quarantine feature, which make this product useless.
Comparing this product with Avast 8 Antivirus Free or Comodo Internet Security is just pure madness.

My advice: Uninstall Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition, and install Avast 8 Antivirus Free or Comodo Internet Security.

Also to mention since it has no Quarantine feature all detected files are permanently deleted from your hard drive with no restore available.

It deleted several important safe files from my hard drive because of false positive issues. It also has no exclusions at all, because you can not configure it to ignore false positives.

The product is complete junk and the paid versions of BitDefender 2013 are not much better.

For freeware AV use Microsoft Security Essentials/ Windows Defender with UAC on default, Avast or Avira.

If you want a more powerful solution that includes constant maintenance and tweaking then Comodo Internet Security will be a good option just use v.5.0 not v.6.0.

Enjoy!!:D

D Bone

May 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
Also to mention since it has no Quarantine feature all detected files are permanently deleted from your hard drive with no restore available.

Completely and totally false. You should do your homework before posting complete inaccuracies that will mislead people.

BD Free will quarantine files, NOT delete them. In it's current state, there is no easy restore feature, but there will be in the next update that is coming soon.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
D Bone said:
Littlebits said:

Completely and totally false. You should do your homework before posting complete inaccuracies that will mislead people.

BD Free will quarantine files, NOT delete them. In it's current state, there is no easy restore feature, but there will be in the next update that is coming soon.

I did my homeworks and permanently lost several important files and so did several other members here posted on several other threads.

I'm not sure if the issue was corrected, but I'm not willing to lose more of my files to find out.

Thanks.:D

amvlad

Level 1
Aug 3, 2011
i there,

In our attempt to design Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition as a minimalistic, set-and-forget solution, we went all the way, and automized the product 100%. But following your feedback, we are now introducing some basic functionalities so you can also tweak security to your needs:

- The new Threat Control now allows you to add exceptions to items which Bitdefender considers suspect, but which you would still like to use. Simply right-click the file in listed in the Threat Control tab and the option will appear in a menu.

Gonzales_quar_EN.png

- If you want to access a webpage that Bitdefender considers dangerous, you can now continue at your own risk to that page. The option will also be remembered by the product for the current session, to ease your access.

- Other important updates include additional security levels added, compatibility with Comodo Firewall, and more frequent updates.

For more details, check this blog post: http://www.hotforsecurity.com/blog/bitdefender-antivirus-free-adds-quarantine-ability-6213.html

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us on the HotForSecurity blog.

jaykeneth

Mar 22, 2014
Any resolution on the frequent error that says "Unexpected error. Try again later" when trying to log-in on "My Bitdefender" using a Facebook account?

phyniks

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
How is it's protection when you re offline?
Does it have some basic database for widespread threats?
(When you re offline there may be no zero day malwares....but what about known old threats,such as a worm on a USB?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.