Advice Request Bitdefender Free - Pro's & Con's

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
With respect to the Free Antivirus of the Year 2018 competition, I'm starting a thread series where users of the various products will be joining together to state the Pro's and Con's of each antivirus software and why they think it was a contender or not for the Free Antivirus of the Year 2018.

In this thread we'll talk about the Pro's and Con's you have found about Bitdefender Free Antivirus.

The first post will be updated by me [or the mods] with what user's think is good and bad about the product, so an informed decision can be made for newcomers.

StrikeFIN

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2017
BD Free most noticeable feature is how easy is it to use, there is no actual messy "settings" menu so you can basically install it and leave it alone.

Even it's only Free version, it uses same virus database as paid versions, Free lacks of course many protection features, but viruses scan is basically same as on paid versions.

If something bad to say, maybe automatic updates (5min after reboot + around after 1 hour), it doesn't download much but for some reason eats all internet speed (?), rest internet actions (videos, downloads) slow down noticeable amount.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
While I don't recommend Free AVs in general...

I think BD Free is the best free AV in terms of protection. Kaspersky is now challenging that..

The thing with BD (both free and paid) is --- does it work well on your system.

Some people have issues with Bitdefender (i.e. "Bugdefender) while others don't.

If I elected to use a free AV, and if BD Free ran smoothly on my system, BD Free is what I would choose.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.